felt speaker cloth? hidden speakers on rear shelf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thinking about hiding the speakers in the rear shelf... the cover is molded wood/board... my thoughts were to cut holes above where the speakers will mount, and then cover it all in a fabric...

i have the wire mesh grill from the speakers and can jam them in the holes to protect them... i think they bow out so it should create a subtle bulge in the cloth

i need some recommendations for a speaker cloth that is thin, softer... durable.... i have a bunch of the standard(?) speaker cloth and thats not the kind of feel i'm going for.

:cheers:

what about some sort of tunnel from the top of the speakers to the bottom of this board? thin MDF? or what??

pioneer ts-c720prs
186982055_o.jpg

I used to use this felt many years ago, covered IB subs and 6x9 in rear decks all the time. I'd just cut out the deck panel to let the sound through but not have big gaps, then cover it with felt. It came in all colors, no backing, was heavy felt. The subs made it move some when you cranked on them but otherwise it worked great and made it all stealth. I used to also put 1/2" or 1/4" chicken wire under it, the square type like giant screen. I can't find it anywhere, thought maybe Jcwhitney had it but not seeing it. It was heavier than felt you find at a material store. The trim shop had all kinds of it, we used to also make trunk liners out of it. It was sort of like carpet but no pile and no backing, air went right through it. You could almost see through it but was thick enough to lay flat by itself. Closest thing I have seen lately is some speaker boxes seem to be done in it, but they are all black or charcoal color. I had a T/A back then I did the rear deck in camel color.

It might be like this stuff: Auto Carpet Felt Padding

We used the spray cans of the super 3M glue on this and on carpet, or they had guns full of the stuff sitting around. It will stretch to fit a shape some, not a lot but certainly more than carpet. A speaker grill for example would be no problem. It is more course than fabric felt, much more, nearly like wadded up carpet. They say it attenuates, so maybe the thinner of the thick stuff was what we had...it didn't cut the sound at all that I could tell. It would help road noise to cover the trunk with it, but over a speaker it did little.

I use the 3M™ Super Trim Adhesive or maybe the 3M 90, you have to get something that says heavy duty and carpet, the lesser ones will not hold carpet. It comes out like a string, like mini silly string, and has an adjustable nozzle on it for width. I just did a headliner pad with the stuff not long ago.

I should add, some things you don't have to glue all of it, you can pull it around the edges and not glue all the top...that is what I used to do. It didn't seem to get loose on flat laying things. But you can glue it all to be sure just spray both surfaces and wait a minute, then smooth it on there the way you want.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.