Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2010, 01:32 AM   #11
damage is offline damage  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe I need to get me a D200 then. Yea right! I haven't installed Perry's amp yet. But a black D200 would match
Old 5th July 2010, 08:33 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

If I could get 3 Quad-4ohm-coil 10" woofers similar to the old Polk DB10s, I'd find 12 D200IIs and have exactly the bass I want.

I never should have let go of all those old green 6.0s, DOG they were sweet!

I never realized how many layers of vocals Enya used on her Watermark album until I heard it thru a 6.0 & Picasso.
Old 20th July 2010, 01:09 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

And as a follow-up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage View Post
I dunno. The Soundstreams run and sound ok. But I never really felt quite right with them. Almost like using someone else's computer. And I tried almost every model from D60 - Rubicon 700.

It seems like to me that in the last few years of rotating amps, I've been happiest with the old Zapco Competitions on the mids and highs, and Punch 150/HD and Coustic 360 on the subs. Though I must say, the G&S Competition C2000 (not the PPI models but the next series) was the best damn 400 watt sub amp I've used sounding just right in my small Eclipse. My Punch 150 25 to Life was just waayyy too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol50 View Post
Funny he says softer sounding, to me they were harder though I had the most experience with the D series. They sounded more cold and precise, near German in a way though many new amps also do. So they worked well on highs and mids, not as nice full range on say a hatch box, and so-so on subs. We used to run LP on lows and sometimes mids, SS on highs sometimes mids, lol, it sounded best. The LP had far more bass, and back then many people didn't run EQs, that was around late 80s mostly the xx02 LP amps. Also if you needed over 200w there was no SS there. Both amps worked well and were expensive, just worked better for different uses. RF punch were great amps back then too, though they sounded quite colored at times with a loudness curve, but it was good when you had limited EQ back then. I have a rub302 the early one, I've only ran it on a single 12 and it has all its 300rms I can tell you it blew off a couple other amps I also ran. Too bad the single 12s sounded like crap no matter what amp was on them, I hate small sealed with nominal subs.

I have a bunch of old amps to try its going to be confusing. How do you compare a D100, a HK CA260, alpine 3555, Rub 302, alpine v12 t757/407, alp 1002(but its kinda big), alp F345, mtx USA BT754, and some newer amps too. Been running class D on subs, but might try some old school since the 15s should not take that much to get them going.
I've had most Soundstream amps made, lots of older class A amps, from the Class A 50 & 100II thru several 3.0s & 6.0s to the last old skool Class A Picasso (I kept them all!) and a number of the Reference series, too, and the only amp I let go was the D200II. It did get a little harsh & gritty when it got warmer though it maintained an incredible ability to control the woofer.

Having had a number of Zapcos, including the HC500, 6.0 & 9.0, along with a bunch of PPI Art series, (fry'n)Orions, MTX's VFet series, Kicker's best ZR series, Lanzar's Opti series, a newer McIntosh & an older Fosgate Punch, along with a ton of Linear Power, both the TO20 & newer, plus Audisson, Sinfoni & Helix and the Class A Soundstream amps absolutely outclass all of the rest.
The only one I might consider as good, maybe even a tiny bit better would be Steg's pricey Class A amplifiers.

If you can grab a reference Class A 6.0 / 10.0 / Picasso or Renoir you'll know what I'm referring to, but please have a smooth deck & speaker system or you'll be erroneously blaming the amplifier for junk you'll hear because of it's uncanny ability to reveal other system weaknesses.

But you should love the bass control & ultra-smooth but lively & articulate mid/high detail without harshness or dullness you get from so many other 'High End' amp manufacturers.

Oh, and Wade is for real, I spoke with him on the phone yesterday, and we're having lunch next week, so if you have an SS amp that you want repaired or dialed in - he's the man to send it to. He IS Mr SS Reference.
Old 27th June 2011, 12:16 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to AcuraTLSQ
Bringing this back from the depths................

Possible for some of Wades friends to get in touch with him? Several folks, including myself, sent him items for repair from his posts on DIYMA. I have not been able to get in touch with him for close to 6 months now. I have given up on the deposit I sent and would just like my amp returned.

He seems to have gotten over whelmed and way behind. All I can find are glowing representations of his character and I am sure the way this situation has taken was completely due to circumstances beyond his control. But it is time for him to throw in the towel and return my equipment.

I will gladly Paypal someone freight costs if they can pick up my amp from him and send it back to me.

Kirk
Old 28th June 2011, 05:42 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Crickets..........
Old 1st July 2011, 12:38 AM   #16
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmmmm....
Old 8th July 2011, 11:38 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I was able to get someone to dig my amp out of the pile and send it back to me. Fingers crossed it actually happens.

Good luck to everyone else that sent him equipment.
Old 28th July 2011, 06:48 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

He's had my 705 for a year...and accidently killed my board. He says he's going to replace it...but I haven't had any response back for several months now. FML.
Old 28th July 2011, 10:16 PM   #19
Jozua is offline Jozua  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi

I had a Soundstream Ref 10 Class A and still have an unused Piscasso amp. I suspect that I was the only person in South Africa with a Ref10 Class A.

The Ref 10 gave me more pleasure than my high end home system. Needless to say it was swiped with my car and never seen again.

Interestingly none of the local car audio dealers were prepared to help me trace the amp.

Jozua
Cape Town

Hide this!Advertise here!