Precision Power amp needs repair....but where?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My PCX 2125 has issues. Currently it is running a single JL 12W6v2, sub is wired in series to 8 ohms at the cup, amp is bridged to one channel.
-The amp gets warm quickly, even if it's not being pushed hard, the internal fan will come on.
-Also at times, there will be a static sound coming from the subwoofer. It happens mainly when first turning on the system. It's a very erratic/choppy sound, not a constant output of noise, and it comes and goes without anything in particular making it appear or go away. The sub still plays bass fine, so I've just kept on running it through these occuring problems, its been acting up for over a year.

I have never attempted an amp repair, I have not opened up the amp, it has never been worked on. I own a Fluke 73III multimeter, but no other test equipment.

I'd like to send it out to a pro for repair, but I have no idea where to send it. I'd prefer to drop it off locally, I'm in central N.H., but I'll ship it out if necessary.

I've sent out 3 repair quote requests online (amprepaircenter, db-r, justrepairs) and not one of them got back to me with a quote. Do they not want to touch it? Is this amp an extra special PITA to work on?:confused:

I've been Googleing (how I found this site:)) for repair shops but have had no luck finding anyplace that says they specifically repair older PPI amps.
Can anyone point me to a place that can do the work?

Most of those places have their rates listed on their web page but those are very basic rates. I have had no dealings with any of them, so I cannot say good or bad about them.

Older amps have needs such as long term serving needs and what not. Some tech's just don't want to open them up because of this. They know its going to be more then just a basic repair, so they put them off.
Even I have second thoughts about some amps as old as yours is. Besides the basic repair required to stop its noise issues it will require servicing for age. I.E. new heatsink compound, lots of bad solder joints, corrosion issues, dirty pots, bad RCAs, broken switches, cleaning excessive dirt and grime build up inside...etc... the list can get big at times.

try giving them a call directly some of them have phone numbers on their sites. Ask Perry if he has time, perhaps he does and can help. he is closer to you then I so he was the first person to pop into my mind both being competent and qualified, and not half way around the world...:)

I haven't tried palying with any knobs or switches on the amp to see if it has any effect on the noise. I did try wiggleing the RCA's, didn't have any effect. I also tried a different sub to see if it made the same noise, it did. Then I hooked up another amp to see if the noise occured, it didn't. Right now the amp is out of the car, I had to pull the whole system to have a little body work done on the car, got hit in the rear driver's QP.

I've read some threads where you guys talk alot about amps from the 80's and 90's....this 2125 is only from 2002....I didn't think it was that old yet, lol.
This is the second PPI amp that's pooped out on me, I had to send out an A204 back in 1998 or so, it was blowing tweeters on one channel. But I love these amps - I also have a PC4400, PCX480 and a PC650.

db-r, I just sent them my quote request earlier this week, the other two I contacted last month.

Contact Zed Audio (zedaudio@aol.com) or check www.zedaudiocorp.com for the phone # and call him up. Stephen is incredibly talented and really nice to work with and I'd trust him without hesitation to fix any amp. Downside is you'll have to eat shipping back and forth to California plus the actual cost of repair.

I was told there's a guy in Rockland MA that repairs amps, which might be worth looking into...save you probably 40$ on shipping after all is said and done anyway.

The real tough thing is that for the cost of the shipping and repair you can probably pick up one that functions used on a forum or eBay. And I'd agree that an 8 year old amp shouldn't be giving you problems, not from components aging anyway.

And I'd agree that an 8 year old amp shouldn't be giving you problems, not from components aging anyway.

I guess you never seen the 5 year or 2 to 3000 hour manufacturers lifespan spec's for high quality electrolytic capacitors then eh? :eek: Heaven forbid what the spec's are for the cheap Chinese caps some amps use nowadays, but I defer to the bad caps website for your enjoyment and education...:) Oh 2000 hours is the average 40 hour work week for one year, hence why many makers only offer 1 year warranties on their new gear i guess...

Nothing lasts forever, especially if you don't provide proper servicing. I been doing this for 30 years, I guess it was all in vein, eh?:eek:

Oh and Mr Mantz is a legend in this business. We both been around along time..:)

I guess you never seen the 5 year or 2 to 3000 hour manufacturers lifespan spec's for high quality electrolytic capacitors then eh? :eek: Heaven forbid what the spec's are for the cheap Chinese caps some amps use nowadays, but I defer to the bad caps website for your enjoyment and education...:) Oh 2000 hours is the average 40 hour work week for one year, hence why many makers only offer 1 year warranties on their new gear i guess...

Nothing lasts forever, especially if you don't provide proper servicing. I been doing this for 30 years, I guess it was all in vein, eh?:eek:

Oh and Mr Mantz is a legend in this business. We both been around along time..:)

I don't know what manufacturers of what caps rate them for, but I've seen plenty of PPI amps from the early/mid 90's (and loads of other amps from that generation) that are used often and still in fine operating condition so it just seems unusual. I think these PCX series are right on the line when they stopped manufacturing in the USA so could be???

I checked out the zed website, I didn't see anything on there mentioning that they fix amps. I didn't email him yet, I'd like to keep on trying to find someone closer before paying to ship it to Cali and back from N.H.

Yeah, I think 2003 was the last year for quality PPI product. '03 was the last year of the PCX series, then they changed to the first gen of their new hideous lines after they were bought by DEI (or MTX?). I'll never buy a PPI amp made after 2003.

Here it is:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.