diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Car Audio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   Walmart VR3 12" Subwoofer? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/167464-walmart-vr3-12-subwoofer.html)

form109 25th May 2010 07:49 PM

Walmart VR3 12" Subwoofer?

Has anybody ever gotten one of those Cheap 20 Dollar VR3 12" Woofers from Walmart?

i Bought One not Long ago....and it looks Diffrent Construction Wise than the Last one i bought last Year.

The Surround Went From Rubber to Foam

The Cone Went from Poly to Paper...with a Thin Layer of Poly on it.

The Voice Coil Went from Dual 4 Ohms to Single 4 Ohms

The Magnet on Last Years Model was Bigger...this years model has Shrunk about 3/4" and lost the Bumped T-yoke with a Smaller Pole Vent.

any Reason for the Material Changes?

stoc005 25th May 2010 08:00 PM

Yup. Value engineering

Make it cheaper. Charge a bit less money. The specs are a little worst than before but who can tell? Repeat cycle. Pretty soon the product will be barely functional but it will cost less.

form109 26th May 2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoc005 (Post 2198344)
Make it cheaper. Charge a bit less money. The specs are a little worst than before but who can tell? Repeat cycle. Pretty soon the product will be barely functional but it will cost less.

Matter of Fact....the Voice Coil Diamater Shrunk too!....Last Year's Model had a 2" Voice Coil....this one looks like it has a 1.5" Coil.

Not that i was Expecting Much...but even for 20 Bucks its Feels like Being Cheated.....but Eh....walmart.

Glowbug 26th May 2010 02:24 PM

Could always try to set it on fire and make a video of it, at least you'd get your $20 worth of fun out of it :D

form109 27th May 2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glowbug (Post 2199040)
Could always try to set it on fire and make a video of it, at least you'd get your $20 worth of fun out of it :D

Nah,i think i'll hang on to it until it blows...in the 34 Dollar Walmart Woofer Box,LOL

see i do have a Habit of Buying Cheap Things and Seeing how i can Improve them.

hispls 27th May 2010 02:07 PM

For a cheap woofer, check the Credence loudspeaker site's clearance section. They are new/old stock but made in USA and good quality for what they are. I used spome as drop/ins for some home cabinets that I rarely use.

If you have to cheap-out, at least cheap out and support American manufacturing.

form109 27th May 2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hispls (Post 2199969)
For a cheap woofer, check the Credence loudspeaker site's clearance section. They are new/old stock but made in USA and good quality for what they are. I used spome as drop/ins for some home cabinets that I rarely use.

If you have to cheap-out, at least cheap out and support American manufacturing.

i might have to save up some..they have some good Looking Woofers!:eek:

Whats up with those Inner Lead's?....how do they do that?

hispls 27th May 2010 08:40 PM

Hmmm. Didn't notice that. I have seen/heard some of their current subs a year or so ago and they were quite nice, but for a cheap-o project I know I got some good American made 12's for around 32$ ea shipped to my door. Nothing you'd throw 500W at, but really comparable to the stuff we used to pay 100 a pop for in the early 90's.

The inner leads is sort of a different take on the direct leads that a few other manufacturers use these days (DD, AudioQue, etc.) I haven't seen anyone else running them through the pole vents, but instead of running tinsel along the spider to terminals, the 8 guage (or whatever speaker wire) is run directly to the coil. Not sure how they keep it from rubbing the former like that, but I suspect some sort of suspension system?

jol50 4th June 2010 06:03 PM

Those are some nice looking USA subs. I bought a kraco DVC 10 a long time ago, got it cheap because the box was torn up at kmart. Built a BP for it tuned low, ran it on a amp hooked to my PC with some little speakers. It worked great and still works, had it on the garage stereo lately, about 2x35w home stereo in parallel. Those cheap subs can work nice for lower power use.

form109 12th August 2010 04:56 PM

update: The Woofer wasn't terribly hard to bottom out,in Free Air i gave it about 80 Watts at 20 Hz and the Cheap Vr3 bottomed hard enough to Deform the Voice coil former so it continually rubbed against the Pole Piece.

at that Point and time i ripped it apart being pretty useless...maybe i can do something with the Basket?