Walmart VR3 12" Subwoofer? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 05:24 PM   #11
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member
 
badman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sunny Tustin, SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by form109 View Post
Matter of Fact....the Voice Coil Diamater Shrunk too!....Last Year's Model had a 2" Voice Coil....this one looks like it has a 1.5" Coil.

Not that i was Expecting Much...but even for 20 Bucks its Feels like Being Cheated.....but Eh....walmart.
Maybe you just want to drop the extra bucks on a reputable brand next time, and not support the decline of standards?

Just a thought
__________________
I write for www.enjoythemusic.com in the DIY section. You may find yourself getting a preview of a project in-progress. Be warned!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 05:33 PM   #12
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
LOL, you better move on up to PYLES!

Given they are 15s, but I ran a 170rms amp clipping onto one on a 20Hz sine and it didn't make a noise (unmounted), was pretty close to xmax or xmech not sure...but don't think the suspension would move much more than that by the looks of it. Not beat them hard really but have not heard them crack or anything with the 500rms alpine on them so far, and I have played with them and hit at least 1" xmax on bass music. Its way too much bass of course. I wrote a bunch of stuff about them just search pyle and my threads are the only ones lol. Lots of good laughs from them too, certainly was worth that and they make great 30Hz in the car on top of that. Who could ask more for $47 shipped each. Going to stick a smaller 350rms sub amp in there soon and see if I can clip it without thrashing them, that would give me a better idea what kind of power they handle IB. I should measure the voltage they get now at least, I'm too lazy to cart my scope out to the car and hook it up. I'm scared to clip the 500rms where I actually hear it clip.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 06:54 PM   #13
hispls is offline hispls  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
LOL. 20$ subwoofers aren't known for great x-max. Really 20hz is something I stay far away from unless I have some pretty beefy woofers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 08:01 PM   #14
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I'm trying for 20Hz but can't seem to make it in this car. A 20Hz tone just cranked and I get nothing but a back seat that is pulsating, windows down. I can hear 23Hz then 25Hz is fairly strong, 30Hz a little stronger and it stays there on up. That is the only reason I put a pair of 15 in, because they have lower Fs than the quad 12s I had, easier to tune, less weight, better for 20-30Hz. I don't need it super loud, but need some excessive sub stage to get that low. These 15s go louder than I use for sure, I can't hear the highs if I dial them up.

I will admit it...I love cheap subs, but you still have to get something that will perform the job; cheap subs only give so much. The Pyles are better cheap subs I guess that happened to be tuned well for IB.

I did make a BP box with a DVC Kraco sub many years ago and it worked great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 08:54 PM   #15
hispls is offline hispls  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jol50 View Post
I'm trying for 20Hz but can't seem to make it in this car. A 20Hz tone just cranked and I get nothing but a back seat that is pulsating, windows down. I can hear 23Hz then 25Hz is fairly strong, 30Hz a little stronger and it stays there on up. That is the only reason I put a pair of 15 in, because they have lower Fs than the quad 12s I had, easier to tune, less weight, better for 20-30Hz. I don't need it super loud, but need some excessive sub stage to get that low. These 15s go louder than I use for sure, I can't hear the highs if I dial them up.

I will admit it...I love cheap subs, but you still have to get something that will perform the job; cheap subs only give so much. The Pyles are better cheap subs I guess that happened to be tuned well for IB.

I did make a BP box with a DVC Kraco sub many years ago and it worked great.

You simply need either a ton of cone area or a driver with super x-max to get 20hz with any authority. The volume you need to displace goes up dramatically as you start dropping <40hz. Trust me when I say it takes a LOT of x-max to come up with 120db at 20hz

A lot of those old style cheap drivers work just fine if you have reasonable expectations, a large box, and low power needs.

Have you ever played with the Aura Bass Shakers? They do very well in shoring up your ultra low stuff when used along with some subs. Since you don't really "hear" 20hz anyway it's quite effective if you blend them into your subs
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 01:15 AM   #16
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I thought about shakers, but in reality it is working pretty good. Have a lot of work to do on the rest of it first. I wanted to port the trunk for fun, as an experiment, but I barely have room for ports so think I will work on midbass and mids for now. With ports it had a nice gain 20-25, if they actually worked like the model said. Right I think it just has no dB down there, I need even more cone area lol. If I had the trunk room I'd run quad 15s in manifolds but I can't. You can get shallow 12s for around $40 each, if one ran about 8 of those I bet that would get low. Issue is I'm sure they have a higher Fs, and you are getting into coin maybe better used on some other subs.

I ran pyramids for a long time, long ago. They worked great IB on lower power, you got a lot out of them. Sure you can get better, but for $15 each I was getting some nice 30Hz out of tens somewhat loud. That was the paper originals. They did wear out pretty fast.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 01:37 AM   #17
hispls is offline hispls  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jol50 View Post
I thought about shakers, but in reality it is working pretty good. Have a lot of work to do on the rest of it first. I wanted to port the trunk for fun, as an experiment, but I barely have room for ports so think I will work on midbass and mids for now. With ports it had a nice gain 20-25, if they actually worked like the model said. Right I think it just has no dB down there, I need even more cone area lol. If I had the trunk room I'd run quad 15s in manifolds but I can't. You can get shallow 12s for around $40 each, if one ran about 8 of those I bet that would get low. Issue is I'm sure they have a higher Fs, and you are getting into coin maybe better used on some other subs.

I ran pyramids for a long time, long ago. They worked great IB on lower power, you got a lot out of them. Sure you can get better, but for $15 each I was getting some nice 30Hz out of tens somewhat loud. That was the paper originals. They did wear out pretty fast.

There was a line of Pyramid subs that were made by emminence about 10-15 years ago... I've blown 15$ on worse I'm sure.

Indeed for the weight/space/cost of 8 12's you could probably do a single high excursion 18 or a couple moderately strong IB specific drivers (the Acoustic Elegence woofers come to mind).
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 12:18 AM   #18
form109 is offline form109  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tyler,Texas
Anybody Tried those Pyramid Clear Woofers that PE has?...they come in 6.5",8,10,12?
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 02:26 AM   #19
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by form109 View Post
Anybody Tried those Pyramid Clear Woofers that PE has?...they come in 6.5",8,10,12?
Those are the ones I used to use IB mostly, or large ported, the 10s. The paper version was better IMO but in a box it didn't matter. IB the poly had some cone noise, it was ok behind a seat but not if visible, however it didn't in a box for some reason. However, that was a long time ago they have changed them some now the surround is different not sure what else. They would only take a 2x50 to 75rms amp (on a pair or quads, 10"), though those were 12v rated amps back then. The paper version (blue cone) is getting hard to find I scored some on ebay last year from this place, here are 12s on there #200507030715 but have not used them in anything yet. I chose to get pyles instead because I wanted 15s for this car and the Fs was lower, good specs for IB, they have worked very nicely for super cheap so far. Pyle PLWB155 amazon had them cheap paid 94 for a pair shipped. I was going to try the pyramids but then could not find the 15s in blue, and they didn't model as good for 20-30Hz like I wanted. The pyles are pretty beefy, not as efficient of course, but get lower with that heavy paper cone and low Fs. I bet these pyles would not work well in a box while the pyramids could if it was not small. It depends on what you want, but for low power the pyramids can work well they got loud considering the small amp. These pyles are 15s not 10s, I have 500rms on them but don't think I use it all. I ran a 170rms amp on one unmounted and it had over 1" xmax and didn't bottom on a sine, the amp thermalled. Guess I can say I repaired the amp properly lol, it still works.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual 12" Subwoofer Project ReTrO Subwoofers 79 3rd May 2014 07:57 AM
My Dayton Reference 12" Subwoofer owdi Subwoofers 25 2nd June 2011 08:49 PM
WTB: 12" or 15" Subwoofer locc Swap Meet 7 22nd January 2011 02:40 AM
To sell: one Polk 12" "metallized" subwoofer kencogan Swap Meet 0 16th January 2010 02:21 PM
$1000 to spend on 12" or 15" Subwoofer soundengine355 Subwoofers 32 9th November 2008 01:00 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2