PPI PC2350 @ 3ohms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I..... would not do it. That amp is worth way too much to risk running at lower than optimum. I'm not sure if its the same but the art .2 series actually dropped power output if you ran them at lower than recommended loads. Not sure if the 2350 uses the same AM2 circuitry though. I had a pc2350, it was an excellent amplifier.

Although from looking at the nominal impedanceon both subs, the w7 only gets .4ohms lower than the IDMAX..... Hmmmm.... I did just get off of the phone with a friend of a friend who worked for PPI in Arizona, he says it should run without a problem.

So is the idmax 3.4 and the w7 3? I would think 3.7-3.8 and up would be ok adding in wire resistance but well who knows, maybe wire resistance will be enough to keep it safe.

The rails inside the amp are too high to run such low loads reliably, plus you will likely exceed the SOA current rating of the outputs, along with being able to make pancakes and waffles on it cause the internal fan is only 40mm < my computer has a bigger fan in it >:eek:

It was meant for 2 and 4 ohm loads in stereo and 4 ohms in mono it has no other spec because it never had any other spec. It will be a shame to see another fine "Old School" amp get the Hades beat out of it in the name of "it ran fine for a little while" Doh !:eek:

PS I own a pair of these cause they were very top of the line in there day. Running subs in not on the agenda for their future ever....Buy a cheap class D import and beat it to death and then buy another. They have then disposable priced...Run with the idea of cheap import bass amps and replace them every couple years or so. You can never replace that 2350 and all of its greatness from the day.....Plus it would make your highs sound so great They would hear your cymbal crashes for blocks:) Plus it would take a 10KW bass amp to keep up with the 2350 on your highs...think about it, you can always turn the amp down lol lol lol ....:)

The rails inside the amp are too high to run such low loads reliably, plus you will likely exceed the SOA current rating of the outputs, along with being able to make pancakes and waffles on it cause the internal fan is only 40mm < my computer has a bigger fan in it >:eek:

It was meant for 2 and 4 ohm loads in stereo and 4 ohms in mono it has no other spec because it never had any other spec. It will be a shame to see another fine "Old School" amp get the Hades beat out of it in the name of "it ran fine for a little while" Doh !:eek:

PS I own a pair of these cause they were very top of the line in there day. Running subs in not on the agenda for their future ever....Buy a cheap class D import and beat it to death and then buy another. They have then disposable priced...Run with the idea of cheap import bass amps and replace them every couple years or so. You can never replace that 2350 and all of its greatness from the day.....Plus it would make your highs sound so great They would hear your cymbal crashes for blocks:) Plus it would take a 10KW bass amp to keep up with the 2350 on your highs...think about it, you can always turn the amp down lol lol lol ....:)

I'm just gonna set the w7 aside and throw the IDMAX in, I'll feel more comfortable like that. I'd love to throw it on my mids and highs, but I'm running 4 mids and 4 tweets on a full active setup, I'd need atleast another 2350 and that's just for the mids.

Last edited:
See below \/ :)

Even though I'm just a beginner amp tech, I know that the PC2350 is a very expensive amp to repair, 24 PS FETS and 20 outputs....... ouch:eek: I've always been a FIRM believer in having atleast 25% more power than what your going to be using. Plus I'm one of those people that if I want to jam some music, I wanna be able to jam on it, not worry about if I'm exceeding the limits of my equipment by running an amp under it's rated ohm load....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.