Power supply torrid/transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This Ample A226 was being used by a guy that seems to have blew it and pawned it off in a trade which I eventually got the amp and now would like to ask about a repair on it.

The main power supply torrid has a burnt winding. It doesn't go far, but apparently far enough because it blows the transistors in the power supply after coming on and playing for about 8 seconds, then politely kills (2) twenty amp fuses in the process.

The transistors in this power supply are NTE2396 and are getting pretty pricey from the local electronics shop. If I am going to keep blowing them testing this amp I'm going to have to find some bulk.

My question is this..... If the coating is burnt off the wire and that is causing a short in the transformer torrid, can I peel back that one winding a little bit and stick some shrink wrap on it or something else to make the torrrid useful again?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

NEVER use NTE parts in car amplifiers. Their ICs may be OK for TV repair but their transistors are essentially useless for car amps.

Buy some nice cheap IRFZ44s to repair this amp.

If there's enough wire and no other underlying windings were affected, you can insulate it and it should be OK. It could be completely rewound but that is time consuming and likely not justified for this amp.

Shrink wrap is a bit thick, but if that's what you have then go with it. remember windings on a toroid don't usually have insulators between them as it interferes with design and causes other magnetics issues. Since your close to the end of the windings the issues might not rear their ugly side and cause any troubles. I myself am fond of kapton tape and insulating varnish. Both of which are very thin and flexible and can withstand very high heat before failure.
You can search for transformer tape it comes in several forms and thickness's but this most likely is going to cost way more then varnish and simple kapton tape.

As for the finality of your repair well in my mind I am hoping the bad wiring your fixing is all the bad spots as some can be hidden under windings and not accessible unless the toroid is completely unwound. I have my fingers crossed for you though...:)

+1, I've NEVER had any luck using nte mosfets, and especially wouldn't expect them to survive long in a parallel setup. That may even be why the transformer is toasted... because the guy who originally "repaired" the amp used the nte's.

NEVER use NTE parts in car amplifiers. Their ICs may be OK for TV repair but their transistors are essentially useless for car amps.

Buy some nice cheap IRFZ44s to repair this amp.

If there's enough wire and no other underlying windings were affected, you can insulate it and it should be OK. It could be completely rewound but that is time consuming and likely not justified for this amp.

I have a old punch 150 i picked up just over five years ago the outputs were replaced with NTE i did not feel like replacing them so i put the amp in and hook it to HX2 10 dual 4ohms at 2ohms per channel said to my self i will replace the outputs with the right parts when the NTE's blow and it still going today:confused: i don't care for NTE but i cant knock them either:eek:

With car amps, sometimes the exact replacement part number won't work due to minor changes in the component. With NTE parts, there is virtually no chance that the replacement NTE part is identical to the one it's replacing. When you're using NTE parts, you don't know what you're installing in the amp. Unless they're for use in something as simple as a linear regulator or for TV repair, they should never be used (especially for those who don't have the ability to troubleshoot problems related to the incompatibility of the replacement parts).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.