Planet Audio ZR300.4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amp is not getting remote power. This amp was playing just fine and suddenly cut off. It does nothing, dead as a doornail. No amp draw, nothing. I get power all the way up to the chip on the remote input side and no further.

Ideas welcome.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I posted the list so you could copy and paste and fill in the blanks. If you don't know the pin numbering scheme, see attached.

It appears that the IC is defective or something is dragging the 5v regulated output to ground. Pin 14 is the regulated output and should have 5v on it.

As a side note... If you need a better program for drawing, download Open Office (free) and use the 'Draw' application. It's not great but it's MUCH better than paint.

Attachments

• pinconfig494-01.gif
    pinconfig494-01.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 61
Well that was.......fun. It turned on and lasted a total of about 4 minutes then started killing fuses. I put two more fuses in it thinking I had blown them since I was up pretty decently in volume and the amp (*which has protection, but will not go into protection) turns the green light on like it is supposed to, shows the green light for about 5 seconds, then something starts screaming in the amp and it kills the fuses.

I think it might be the transistor marked IFRZ48B in the power supply, but they all checked good on pins 2 and 3 for diode check.

Any other ideas what it might be?

Last edited:
Ok, I have removed every single transistor off the walls of this amp, all of them. Power supply and audio side, everything. All of it checks out good.

The amp will power up with a green light for a second or two and start sucking amps in a dead short. It does not go into protect. IT will do it with no load or input at all, just the amp at idle on power supply voltage.

I also checked the large rectifier on the power input. Everything I have checked is good.

What next? It started this after a high volume song that was only on for about 10 seconds, just a rock song turned up reasonably loud.

Last edited:
Ok well it's back working. I resoldered every single place on the mobo and it fired up (sounds like the PPI 600 problem, doesn't it?). Looks like when I was hammering on it out there in the car testing it I found it's Achilles heel.

Well, I'm running this one to the pawn shop before something else goes wrong. Trade it in on a good weed eater or something. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.