Exodus Anarchy offset horn for car

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at putting a horn in my next car (SAAB 9-3) and came up with using the Exodus Anarchy "mid"woofer. The horn will probably be wrapped to not loose too much trunk space (use the essentially non-usable portions). The backchamber and throat will use the portion of the trunk behind the wheel well and then the actual line will be ~6" tall and folded on the floor.

I just want to know what you guys think, here are a few screen caps from hornresp and a picture of the trunk:

Input:
AnarchyMidOffsethornINPUT.jpg

Diagram:
AnarchyMidOffsethornDiagram.jpg

Response (1W):
AnarchyMidOffsethornResponse1W.jpg

Response at maximum power (150W):
AnarchyMidOffsethornResponse150W.jpg

Driver Displacement at maximum power (150W):
AnarchyMidOffsethornDisplacement150.jpg

Trunk:
trunk.jpg

That's gonna eat up a LOT of your trunk. It will be close to 4 cubic feet once you add the wood into the equation. If you can make it fit, it should work pretty well.

Yeah it is, right around 20%, I might see if I can get it smaller without sacrificing too much of the efficiency. What would you think would be a good frequency to roll off at? If I can move it up to 40Hz or so I could really shorten this up.

smaller horn

Shrunk the size down considerably and made more sacrifices with the size/extension/efficiency equation, sacrificing the low end. I listen to the gauntlet of music but mostly rock (tool and dreamtheater being the most demanding bands in that genre) I also like listening to electronica (don't shoot me) when driving long distance. How low should I tune this beast? Another option I guess would be to have a non flat response on the low end assuming I'd get some sort of cabin gain below 60-80Hz, but I'd rather have to EQ it down to flat than count on it to make my response flat.

So this one the corner frequency is 40Hz and size is down to less than 60L, so about 2 cubic feet:

AnarchyMidOffsethornResponse1W40Hz.jpg

Even smaller but counting on some cabin gain, 40L:

AnarchyMidOHResponse1W40Hz2.jpg

For car use? I really don't know. I have not put a horn sub in a car yet.

In a car, you can definitely expect significant cabin gain, so you do not need to target a flat 2pi response with your model to get a flat result.

I'd think that 30 Hz should be low enough, but I'd aim for a more gradual roll-off rather than a sharp knee in the response.

Last edited:
For car use? I really don't know. I have not put a horn sub in a car yet.

In a car, you can definitely expect significant cabin gain, so you do not need to target a flat 2pi response with your model to get a flat result.

I'd think that 30 Hz should be low enough, but I'd aim for a more gradual roll-off rather than a sharp knee in the response.

Alright I got one down to 35L and about -6dB/oct slope under 80Hz, I'm going to fiddle around with it a bit more to smooth it out a bit more, right now it is a bit stair stepped. I'm out for the evening though, thanks for your help/suggestions Mike.

-Justin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.