diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Car Audio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   New crossover. Got engine noise (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/166997-new-crossover-got-engine-noise.html)

Simbalage21 16th May 2010 11:54 PM

New crossover. Got engine noise

I purchased a new power Akustic Electronic Crossover, and Still have a noticable amount of engine noise when the car is on. Everyting is connected right, and when disconnecting the crossover and connecting the amps directly to headunit it goes away.. Any ideas? is it the crossover? or am i missing something... Also with a crossover is it ok to have gains on amp all the way up and use the crossover to adjust amp gain? I have another thread dedicated asking info on the crossover ect.. but those questions were answered and therefor it can be used as a reference 2 what I am working with

Perry Babin 17th May 2010 12:14 AM

Do you have noise if you plug the head unit directly into the amps?

o. l. t. 17th May 2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simbalage21 (Post 2189309)
and when disconnecting the crossover and connecting the amps directly to headunit it goes away..

The crossover is to blame or the RCA wires you have running to the crossover are too close to power wires somewhere. If re-routing the rca's doesn't help, then you may consider that cheap crossover should be replaced with a good one as good crossovers do not have bad grounding and noise.

Perry Babin 17th May 2010 12:19 AM

I guess I should have taken the time to read it thoroughly.

Simbalage21 17th May 2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Babin (Post 2189339)
I guess I should have taken the time to read it thoroughly.

HEY! I knew your name looked firmiliar! I exchanged emails with you about that kenwood monoblock. She is up and running. And yes without the crossover both amps (KAC 927 and the 9104D monoblock) sound fine when engine is on. The crossover is mounted on top of the kac 927 so I though that was the problem, but if I remove it its acually worse... The rca's are really thick comming off the headunit, and if I grab them from the crossover at the exact location and put them directly into the amps then its clear... It was really untolarable then I bought a schoooche (cheap **) ground loop isolator and it took care of it BEFORE i got the crossover.. nevertheless with or without its same... have dual battery (isolator) so I thought it was that (2 12v sources conflicting) but I connected amps to main battey with radio same result

Simbalage21 17th May 2010 01:52 AM

Can someone answer this. Went out there. tried moving rca's.. running crossover power wires to the HU off the filter that is on it.. as well grounding the metal of eveything. what are the usual settings for the crossover? Could that be the problem? I noticed the higher I go the louder the vocals can play, and the lower I go they have more bass depth and distort quickly. is 500hz good for door speakers? Also through trial and error i noticed connecting the rear speakers out of phase makes it sound somewhat better. when you tie 2 sets of speakers together @ 2ohm and reverse one of the polarities is this bad? for those that know I have all 4 door speakers tied to a 2channel kac 927 (2 speakers each channel) which is 2ohm stereo stable till I get my 4 channel or another 2channel

Perry Babin 17th May 2010 02:00 AM

You should connect all speaker with the proper polarity (check polarity at amp and at the speaker) and leave them connected properly.

I'd recommend 90Hz for the bass. 500Hz would be too high for a 2-way audiophile system but if it sounds best there for you and your listening preferences, then there's nothing wrong with it.

Perry Babin 17th May 2010 02:03 AM

To back to a previous post... You stated that you had to use a ground loop isolator. Was it necessary with the amplifiers alone?

Simbalage21 17th May 2010 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Babin (Post 2189411)
To back to a previous post... You stated that you had to use a ground loop isolator. Was it necessary with the amplifiers alone?

Sorry was outside messing with the wires.. I routed the power wire along the running board, and the rca right in the center console so they are far apart.. no improvement. It was a while ago when I purchased that so yea I am assuming there may have been a problem then.. I've had this setup for awhile so I cant remember.. But I am guessing the crossover is the culprit because if I plug it in to the 927 directly its clean and clear. I got the crossover because I originally used house speakers from a floor standing surround setup. 6" at 4ohm with separate tweeters, and I wanted more overall control of the way it sounds.. Lower sub frequency, and higher on the vocals so I can drive it harder with less distortuion. Plus multiple amps too..Guess till I get another crossover i am stuck with it..

Simbalage21 17th May 2010 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Babin (Post 2189405)
You should connect all speaker with the proper polarity (check polarity at amp and at the speaker) and leave them connected properly.

I'd recommend 90Hz for the bass. 500Hz would be too high for a 2-way audiophile system but if it sounds best there for you and your listening preferences, then there's nothing wrong with it.

Thanks for your help once again, and sorry for the double questions, Just didnt want to create a separate thread for this.. However why is 500 too high? I am new to crossovers, but from what my ears can tell the lower I go say 100 ect.. it wont go as loud without noticing audiable distortion. How would I use test tones to get the max out of the speaker-to-frequency response?