New crossover. Got engine noise - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2010, 08:47 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

What you need to upgrade first is your savings account. If you want an audiophile system, save until you can buy it. I'd suggest buying everything at once. If you buy a piece at a time and it takes a long time to get everything, some of the warranties will have expired by the time you get everything you want.

For the best quality, you will likely use separates. Use the supplied crossovers. They often contain components that flatten the response and protect the drivers.

You MUST listen to the speakers before buying them. Bring your own music and make sure that all of the tone controls, equalization, loudness contours are set to flat or off. If they're going to be installed where you'll be well off-axis, listen to them that way as well as from directly in front of them.

If you're not sure what good quality sound is, find a good set of headphones. Grado and Sennheiser make good headphones for around $100. You can ask for suggestions on the headphones forum.
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:44 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Perry Babin;2190827]What you need to upgrade first is your savings account. If you want an audiophile system, save until you can buy it. I'd suggest buying everything at once. If you buy a piece at a time and it takes a long time to get everything, some of the warranties will have expired by the time you get everything you want.QUOTE]

Took me some time to calm down before responding. The first time it was understandable to prove a point but whoa! I guess this would be a good reponse to give the next guy too asking how to add a sub to his stock stereo. I never said I wanted the best, and by seeing the crossover one automatically knows I am no audiophillie.. No harm in asking the real audiophillie whats good and whats not.. and when dealing with mid-grade stuff whats good, and whats just totally a waiste. Just so I dont wind up with a useless piece of equipment like this crossover.. Neverthless never said I wanted to purchase a 700.00 crossover.. just seeking info on crossovers so my next one will be better. I wound up putting the sony in so I have 3 rcas (front/rear/sub) as well as just set the amps crossover at 200 which sounds good. But my post was about a crossover that was giving engine noise.. Not how small my bank account is, or a debate that you got more money, or a better sound system so you can belittle me and say I need to upgrade my savings account. People build nice systems one piece at a time, and warranty doesnt really matter if you do it right... you blow speakers warranty isnt going to save you anyways.. but yea there is a nice way to help people and like i said your first post about saving and buying good stuff was ok, and then you repost and repeat the same thing, but were very harsh about it..
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:22 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

No offense was intended. I took it that you were an audiophile by your discussion in the flac/lossless thread.

Some people are sensitive about the money they have (or want to have). Money means very little to me. I forget that others see money differently and get offended by comments like I made (which I still see as perfectly fine).

I don't understand why people get offended about anything. If someone tells me that I look like the back end of an old mule, that's their opinion and it means nothing to me. If someone tells me that something I've done is not as good as it should be, I look at it and try to determine if they're right or not. If they are, I work to improve whatever it is. If they're wrong, I ignore their comments. You should feel the same way. As long as you live your life in a way that's beneficial to society, you should feel good about yourself and you shouldn't let what others say get to you.

My suggestion is simply this... listen to what you have and save for the quality of equipment that you want. I can assure you that I can't buy everything I want right away. Generally, waiting results in better decisions and better purchases in the end. When technology is involved, waiting often allows you to get more for your money.

I've done nothing but try to help you. If you can't see that. I'm sorry.
Old 22nd May 2010, 05:53 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hey, well let me put it this way.. I am becomming an audiophillie. I dream, and find myself finding ways to make it better instead of just settling. Like I said you are right to get good stuff even if it takes a while. I am a little sensitive about money ect because It not something I can easily fix.. I am 26 and disabled. Receiving a small ssi check thats barly enough to make ends meet. But when I do pay everything and have say 30 or so left, I will definatly take your advise and save.. but the upgrade the savings was a hit (for me anyways) below the belt. I think your a cool person, and after reading your reply I see you didnt mean it as a putdown
Old 25th May 2010, 02:07 AM   #25
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't use an external electronic crossover... it will make things way less complicated and less likely to cause problems. The only way it would be advisable is if you were running VERY high end amplifiers and non-crossover head unit and running three or more components on each amplifier channel. You really aren't going to gain much using an external crossover and an average deck and amplifier(s). You can get EXCELLENT audio quality with a decent deck with internal crossovers, good name brand or better amplifiers and upper or top of the line name brand speakers/components. I would start with some pioneer premier, polk db or infinity kappa components. Those are all capable setups to start with. For amps sony, pioneer and kenwood actually sound pretty nice. I prefer kenwood excelon or pioneer upper line decks, many people like Alpine.
Old 25th May 2010, 02:26 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppia600 View Post
Don't use an external electronic crossover... it will make things way less complicated and less likely to cause problems. The only way it would be advisable is if you were running VERY high end amplifiers and non-crossover head unit and running three or more components on each amplifier channel. You really aren't going to gain much using an external crossover and an average deck and amplifier(s). You can get EXCELLENT audio quality with a decent deck with internal crossovers, good name brand or better amplifiers and upper or top of the line name brand speakers/components. I would start with some pioneer premier, polk db or infinity kappa components. Those are all capable setups to start with. For amps sony, pioneer and kenwood actually sound pretty nice. I prefer kenwood excelon or pioneer upper line decks, many people like Alpine.
Hey you ... thanks for the response. I took the kenwood out and am using that sony with the crossovers.. However I found that the crossover in the 927 is sufficant. Dont know how to tell which radio is better.. Sony or kewood. Sony has 3 rca outs and the sub control. Anyways I used a 60hz test wav and the rca on both is that around 3v all the way up, so with clipping I'd assume its actually 2v, it reads that on all of them so I am not sure if this is shared or each rca is pushing 2-3v. Dont know how to read specs to see which is actually better. Going to go with Polk Components as my 12" Subs are the DB Series and sound good.. Running them with a kenwood monoblock
Old 25th May 2010, 02:35 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Cool deal. I used to like the sony decks (early to mid 90's) but it seems like they changed to focus more on features than audio quality. You can get a high end sony and be amazed though. The kenwoods seem a little better with their normal decks and are very nice in the upper line. Either way you're going to get better results with that sony than the non-crossover kenwood. I've got the db6501 components by the way, pretty nice sounding.
Old 25th May 2010, 03:13 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Cool deal. I used to like the sony decks (early to mid 90's) but it seems like they changed to focus more on features than audio quality. You can get a high end sony and be amazed though. The kenwoods seem a little better with their normal decks and are very nice in the upper line. Either way you're going to get better results with that sony than the non-crossover kenwood. I've got the db6501 components by the way, pretty nice sounding.
Yea, the sony having three rca outs and sub fadar.. However the kenwood seems well built.. How would one determine which is better based on these specs.. I am not using the internal amp so the watt it has isnt relavent..

I have attached a snip (below) of both the kenwood & sony. If anyone knows how to read these and tell which is better and why plz feel free to post back

Ok I just noticed you say the kenwood, but I already waisted the time to upload the pics. I dont understand S/n Ratios and all that. I'd like to know how people look at specs and determine the better of product.. I will look them components up as I know these house speakers I got upfront will blow soon... They are driven by KAC-927 which is 800X1 and the way speakers are wired 200x2@2Ohm all 4 on this 2channel till I get another 2channel to drive the rears separately
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sony.JPG (116.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Kenwood.JPG (102.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Simbalage21; 25th May 2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 25th May 2010, 03:16 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I don't think you could hear an audible difference from the specs they give. The crossover in the sony is a big win over the kenwood though so between the two I'd go with the sony. The sony decks also started claiming a very high s/n ratio for the cd section in the past couple of years.
Old 25th May 2010, 03:20 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't think you could hear an audible difference from the specs they give. The crossover in the sony is a big win over the kenwood though so between the two I'd go with the sony.
Cool thanx a million... Yea if now I knew what to set it and the amps crossover at. Currently I got my amp at 200hz and not using the radio crossover... 200 is just to get me by till i order some components... Then I will be posting to ask.. .HEcK I'll ask ahead.. With good components.. what would be best setup amp to full and use sony crossover in radio.. or radio set to full and use the amp variable crossover. And to what point for good set of components if I use the amps Xover. Radio only has the 2 listed above post

Hide this!Advertise here!