mp3 = Missing Music.. FLAC/LOSSLESS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey just sharing some recent learned information. I upgraded my car system and found some focal test cds (6) and couldnt play them. Found out ther were in high quality apple lossless. While I hate anything to do with apple this interested me, I found flac is just as good and your music quality is untouched whearas mp3 actually disgards some of the notes ect, while smearing some of them together. I really thought I would mention it for people who are planning on backing up all there cds, because I did this long ago in mp3 and got rid of my cds. FLAC and Apple lossless means it is compressed (like a zip) but you loose 0 quality should you decide to burn onto cd later.. The only drawback is filesize (5mb to like 30) however with the price of hard drives this is fairly not much space in exchange for quality.. I look at it this way its always easier to convert a high quality file on the fly to throw on your mp3 player ect.. then to have an mp3 and its impossible to "upgrade" it back to the original. Think of it like resizing a picture. big can always go small, but not the other way around.. I'd like to see a filesharing network one day for these hi-quality files :).. as they smoke mp3z.. and more players will have support for these lossless formats.. I am not advertising for anyone, just sharing my findings incase some dont know. When you've got an amp'ed car audio setup you definatly can hear the difference..

Last edited:
Exactly! But with the way they push mp3 players ect.. and its actually a standard now its nuts.. I didnt know there was such thing as a format that is no quality loss.. If I pay 0.99 a song they should come like that.. Nothing against mp3, I mean I recally back in the day the controversy over midi files. I had a collection of these at one point and that was back when a 1.3gb hard drive was very large and expensive. But wow! My wife said she couldnt tell the difference between a flac and a 128kb mp3. I said "your ears are broke" even the dogs ears are going up noticing the difference LMAO

Yeah, it sucks when I use my jump drives because there is a speed limit on the player and if I want good quality I get way less files on the drives. I don't like running cd's in the player often because of the worry of wearing it out, lol.

I hear ya about the lazers going. As far as thumb drives go, ipods, mp3 players where space is a concern, then by all means use the highest bitrate suitable for your device, or at least 192. But for archival (storing) and listing on pc use a lossless codec.. Once you got it on pc in lossless, then you can use a converter to convert the lossless to whatever suits your device(s) and still be confident that the original cd per-say is sitting in your pc in format like flac or apple lossless, with 100% quality. I belive winamp and possibly media player will sync and convert when you insert a thumb drive or player too. Are you sure its not the thumb drive? depending on the specs it should say what the max birtate it can play

lossless apple,flac coverstion Screenshot

Here is a screen shot of my ludacriss album that was in m4a (Apple Lossless). Converted To Flac. Wonderful thing is when converting between lossless formats although the file size may change, The content is still 100% as the original :)
Flac uses a small (and I Mean Small) Difference over the apple lossless. One big problem with the apple lossless is its hard to tell if the m4a is actually lossless being the extension is also used by lossy file formats too.. bummer

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 101
Yes, Mp3 sucks and so does WMA. You should be able to hear the difference.

Actually, there is a lossless option for WMA. Most of the 94,000 songs in my archive are ripped to this format and they sound just as good as they do on the original CD's.

On a side note, I use J. River Media Center for playback because Windows Media Player cannot handle a library of this size. I am not sure that iTunes would either since I have never tried. I do have a mini version of my library (~3000 songs) in iTunes for playback on my iPod. I ripped these into the Apple lossless format directly from my WMA lossless files.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I use the wma format to get ~250 songs on one disc it sounds horrible, makes 192kbs mp3 even sound great in comparison.

Actually, there is a lossless option for WMA. Most of the 94,000 songs in my archive are ripped to this format and they sound just as good as they do on the original CD's.

On a side note, I use J. River Media Center for playback because Windows Media Player cannot handle a library of this size. I am not sure that iTunes would either since I have never tried. I do have a mini version of my library (~3000 songs) in iTunes for playback on my iPod. I ripped these into the Apple lossless format directly from my WMA lossless files.

Already there.

A lot of the good private torrent trackers have rigourously-enforced FLAC sharing...complete with log files and AccurateRip info from Exact Audio Copy :)

oh dont get me wrong I am quite fond of this..Thats how I found the focal cds. however what I was referring to was the ability to download tracks like bear share and limewire ect dedicated to lossless.

Look for "HD tracks" it is a site to download flac files (purchase) by album or track.
I won't use iTunes to download, or amazon or anything else because you never own the full quality piece.
Momory is cheap now, I have around 400 to 500 albums, thousands of songs and use about 275gb, with alot of room left on what is now a small 500 gb drive. Cost much less than $100. A tb drive can now be bought for less than that, if you fill that up, you have more music than you really ever could care to listen too and are in collector range.

I hear ya, I have 500gb of mp3s I ripped myself and tageed 100% perfecty using tagNRename. It has become a bigger obsession then the music itself.. CD art embedded, all fields correct (Artist-track-Title). I started this thread because there may be others other there that dont know the flaw in mp3z. While the size is considerably better, when you play it even on a somewhat decent car stereo with amp'd vocals you notice the backround precussion. I have a tb that I have been working on filling with these hi-quality formats so I can replace the inconsistent mp3s with. And yes I do have Demiond Account. Anyone needs invites just let me know. If you are willing to share that is .... As far as the library limit, thats never impressed me because it never works 100% anyways. I creat a playlist for each album, so I browse through exporer and click the playlist to burn or play.. Couldnt be easier :)

Last edited:
I hear ya, I have 500gb of mp3s I ripped myself and tageed 100% perfecty using tagNRename. It has become a bigger obsession then the music itself.. CD art embedded, all fields correct (Artist-track-Title). I started this thread because there may be others other there that dont know the flaw in mp3z. While the size is considerably better, when you play it even on a somewhat decent car stereo with amp'd vocals you notice the backround precussion. I have a tb that I have been working on filling with these hi-quality formats so I can replace the inconsistent mp3s with. And yes I do have Demiond Account. Anyone needs invites just let me know. If you are willing to share that is .... As far as the library limit, thats never impressed me because it never works 100% anyways. I creat a playlist for each album, so I browse through exporer and click the playlist to burn or play.. Couldnt be easier :)

PM sent

however what I was referring to was the ability to download tracks like bear share and limewire ect dedicated to lossless.

You get better transfer speeds through torrents, generally, and it's a lot more self-regulating than P2P networks.

Problem with lossless P2P is that you really have no way of knowing whether or not you're getting a transcode (a lower-quality file that's been converted into a FLAC, which is still a lossy file).

You get better transfer speeds through torrents, generally, and it's a lot more self-regulating than P2P networks.

Problem with lossless P2P is that you really have no way of knowing whether or not you're getting a transcode (a lower-quality file that's been converted into a FLAC, which is still a lossy file).

Good point! How would one know if a torrent flac isnt downgraded like you speak? I've seen some show the cd rip, while others were roipped from wav.. so How do u tell if its wav lessless or from mp3?

One cd, maybe I wasn't using lossless but it was in a WMA format and sucked. Some of the cd players we sold showed the wma symbol when playing this type, we used them to have a large variety on one cd so customers could listen to random stuff. WMA lossless and the WMA I used must be seperate animals.

When you say one disc, are you referring to a CD or a DVD? A lossless WMA file should be ~28 MB for a 4 minute song. Hence, you should only be able to fit about 25 songs on a CD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.