Kenwood KAC-628

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perry,

I stuck the IRF1010N's in this amp and it draws excessive current and the 1010n's get red hot. I checked the drivers they seem to check fine But i cant seem to find the gate resistors for this amp.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 83
I was looking at the outputs when I quoted R104-108. The power supply fets look to be driven directly from the 494/594 through R123 and R124. Those tie to 1.5K R126 and R125. R125 and 126 are acting as pull down resistors, keeping the gate low when not on. Are the 10ohm parts OK. Is the xfrmer shorted or anything in the secondary side to the supply?

You should not have blown a single FET when trying substitute parts. Having them clamped tightly to the sink and using an inline current limiting resistor will prevent any damage to the FETs. A $10 current limiting resistor would have paid for itself with this one repair.

In my first post, I stated that, if the drive circuit was the same as the 728, they should work. I would have provided the service manual if asked so he could have compared them. Obviously it was different. The 528, 628 and 728 share the same owner's manual which meant that they were manufactured at the same time. Many times, amps that are manufactured at the same time have the same basic circuits, the only difference being a different number of power semiconductors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.