putting parts in parallel - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2010, 05:33 PM   #1
timwebb is offline timwebb  United States
diyAudio Member

Default putting parts in parallel

ive came across a site on line that was talking about how to parallel parts like diodes and dual rectifiers in amps for better current handling.what do u guys think?
Old 9th May 2010, 05:43 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

It's not the best idea as it requires very well matched components. Just buy the right parts in the first place.
Old 10th May 2010, 03:51 AM   #3
FireII is offline FireII  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't see any benifit.
Old 10th May 2010, 04:01 AM   #4
timwebb is offline timwebb  United States
diyAudio Member

i read about people doing to get more power handling in amps
Old 10th May 2010, 02:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

It would only be practical for the power semiconductors but there wouldn't likely be any place to mount them on the heatsink.

If you want an amp that will produce more power continuously, you simply need a larger amp. Paralleling parts would only be good for short bursts, not continuous use.
Old 12th May 2010, 01:55 AM   #6
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I've read a lot more about adding caps to the rails, how it sounds better and clips less. Sometimes I wonder if that stuff applies to old amps more like non-mosfet power supplies. Most say only particular amps really benefit from mods.
Old 12th May 2010, 02:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I asked one of the guys at Nat Semi about paralleling some of their simple-switcher SMPS devices -- turns out that it's an easy solution in certain cases. You can parallel voltage regulators but outboarding a separate pass transistor may be less expensive.

There's no point in paralleling power diodes, you double the junction capacitance and may bring the switching transient frequency in the audio band.
Old 12th May 2010, 02:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

It really depends what you are driving with your amps. If you are reproducing sine waves then maybe added capacitance may help if the design is deficient in the first place. If it is not then it will not help.

Rather than parallel diodes you would just want to replace them with a higher power device. Not that I am suggesting it but it causes less headaches than adding another.

Before you do any changes you would be better off measuring your power supply voltage at low levels and then the dc and AC ripple voltage and when you have the volume turned up. Also your transformer voltage at idle and turned up. This will tell you if you are sagging or not.

Now if you replace your capacitors but find your transformer is limiting then changing the capacitors was a waste of time.

And after all the changes you will probably find you will not hear much difference. 3dB requires a doubling of power. If you gain 10% after a bunch of changes how much louder do you think it will sound?

Hide this!Advertise here!