Suggestions requested for my build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a Mcintosh dead head that I'm mating up with 2 pairs of Boston Pro Z6's with separates.These bostons are power HUNGRY. They eat it for breakfast. 400w max and about 150w rms at 3 ohms. I also plan if possible to run some 8" driver(s) to round everything out. I want the SQ here...

Now I'm looking for amps. so far I'm eyeing these for the mids/highs

*Boston Acoustics GT-4100 (100w x 4)
*JL Audio HD600/4
*Zapco AG360's (maybe run 2)

any suggestions on an amp(s) for them?

do I need anything else to help properly build this system?

I'm patient. I'm more than happy to wait for the right thing to come along at a good price(used is a-ok). Also, I have NO problem puttin 2,3 or even 4 amps in this car if necessary if I have to run a mono setup.

I guess the key here is I'm willing to go old skool. :)

How many amp channels total and what power ranges?

Lot of people recommend the new JLs audio and tech people, Zapco are always good it seems, the Boston I've not heard much about but nothing bad. I got into repairing amps to learn more about them and it has made picking one even harder, so maybe someone else here has more input. I still have shelves full of amps and try different ones.

Another one they talk about is the Zed Leviathan audio gear reviews - Amplifier Review - ZED Audio Leviathan. It sure looks impressive with 6x150rms @4ohms.

How many amp channels total and what power ranges?

Lot of people recommend the new JLs audio and tech people, Zapco are always good it seems, the Boston I've not heard much about but nothing bad. I got into repairing amps to learn more about them and it has made picking one even harder, so maybe someone else here has more input. I still have shelves full of amps and try different ones.

Another one they talk about is the Zed Leviathan audio gear reviews - Amplifier Review - ZED Audio Leviathan. It sure looks impressive with 6x150rms @4ohms.

Yes, sorry for leaving this detail out. I'm A-OK with doing two, 2-channel amps for the mids/highs and a sep. amp for the drivers. Or, if the right 4 channel amp can cover those mids/highs, cool, we can do that plus another amp for the driver. Right now I'm looking at some Nak 8"'s that can handle about 180w each

I want to push about 150w to each pair of bostons. So that would be 150w x 4.

Ive read/been told that you can actually run sep channels to those tweets and some people do. I don't think I want an assload of power going just to the tweet, as that would be quite overbearing.

Thanks!

I have a Boston Acoustic GT-42 running in 3 channel mode in my truck. Channels 3 & 4 are bridged @ 2 ohms (1 ohm stereo) pushing a Kicker 08S15L74 in a bandpass horn. It POUNDS & has never cutoff or giving me any problems. The system has been in my truck since May or June 2009.
The amp is below the sub.
8958347.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.