incompetent installer (me) needs help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finnished installing a JL Cleansweep and Alpine PDX 4.100 in my car. When I reconnected the battery, all the lights and (Cleansweep) button seem to indicate that it is working correctly and the Blue ( power ) light comes on the amp, but I get no sound! When I tried connecting an IPOD directly to the amp with 2 RCAs, I still get no sound. The amps gains are set at 1/2 and for 4 speakers. Fuses are OK...

Incidentally, the Cleansweep and Alpine are from Craigslist, and so its possible one or both are bad. The only time I get any sound from the speakers is when I directly reconnect the power or ground to the amp and get a loud thump.

Is there any other test I can do? Appreciate any sugestions.

Thanks

Check the amp's crossovers - it sounds like you have a crossover set somewhere it shouldn't be. If it was the Cleansweep causing issues, you should have heard something when the Ipod was directly connected, but the fact that both don't work implicate the amp...

I think you're right about the amp. I don't have an extra to swap with, but found a local installer who offered to bench test it for no charge. I also found an amp repairer ( Ampmender ) in Shelton, CT who might be able to fix it. However, he's at least 2 weeks backed up. The thought of 2 - 3 weeks of driving in silence is torture - so I went to Radio shack and got some cables that convert the RCAs from the Cleansweep to 2 speaker wires. I connected 2 of these together w/ my fronts and have some very low volume sound. This is a lot better than nothing. At least I know that the Cleansweep is sending a signal...just not much power behind it.
As far as the amp goes, well the seller was in Kansas and I'm in Connecticut. Sometimes you get a bargain and sometimes you don't...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.