Old school Orion XTR 2250 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2010, 07:19 PM   #1
DanielJ is offline DanielJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Old school Orion XTR 2250

I have an xtr 2250. I also picked up a 13w7 for dirtcheap. I want to know if I could run that sub which is dual 1.5 ohm on the beast bridged? I picked it up off a guy who was running 1 ohm off one channel for over a year and there was no damage done so I wonder if its ok to run that w7 at 3 ohm bridged? I know its limit states 4 ohm bridged but its also an oldschool high current amp. I know its 90percent the same as the 2100hcca I would like to know if anyone else has some experience here. Thanksss
Old 16th April 2010, 08:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The amp probably won't survive for long but there are a lot of variables like the speaker, enclosure, music you listen to and your listening habits. If it fails and you have to pay someone to repair it, expect to pay $150-200 for the repair.
Old 16th April 2010, 08:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Why would it run two 12w6v2's at a one ohm load off one channel and not a 3 ohm load bridged? The box is the Jl powerwedge and everything is brand new. I would run the amp most likely half gain or 5/8 and bass boost on. The speaker checks out at 2.7 ohm at the amp its on now, a 1000/1 JL. I had the 12w6v2's on it after that but at a 4 ohm bridge.
Old 16th April 2010, 09:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Mr. Babin, what do you think is the lowest safe impedance to run this amp bridged on. 3.2 or 3.5 or 4? Is it possible to up the impedance by adding length to the speaker wire. I tried it with a foot of 18 gauge and noticed the impedance increased by .1. Do you think 15 feet would make this 2.7 ohm speaker run about 4 ohm? Thankss
Old 17th April 2010, 02:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The manufacturer rated it as a 4 ohm mono (minimum) for a reason. A well educated electronics engineer likely decided the rating. Since he likely knows more than I do about the amp he designed, I'd go along with his suggestions.

18g speaker wire has ~0.013 ohms per foot. You'd need 100 feet of wire to make 1.3 ohms.

The best thing to do is to get the right speaker amp combo. As of now, you can sell the amp and buy something more suitable. If you blow it (possibly making it unrepairable) it will be worth nothing.
Old 17th April 2010, 02:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yea I'm definitely not blowin that amp up.. If i ever do sell it its goin on ebay. I seen them go for around 650 on there. I got two 12w6v2's the amp, kicker x-over, 1 farad cap, and an optima redtop plus 16 feet of 1/0 for 600. I never was interested in owning a 13w7 until a week ago a guy on cragslist said he was selling one he used for about 3 months 3 years ago for 300. I didn't believe til I seen it and ran it on the 1000/1 he was sellling for 300 also. I couldn't leave it. I've already had offers for a grand for the two. I'm gonna sell em next week. anyways thanks for the advice you just furthered my first instinct to not do that. One more question though. Whats the problem(s) with running 100 feet of 18 gauge wire to up the impedance? I'm sure there has to be some. Also the wire had must of been smaller than 18 ga.
Old 17th April 2010, 03:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

It's one of those Gilligan's Island things. If it's absolutely necessary (it will get you off the island and back to the mainland) it may work but in the real world where there are other options (right speaker/amp combo), it's pointless.
Old 17th April 2010, 03:38 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've always wanted to see what the potential of that thing is. Now i have one sub that could handle it I'm anxious to see. I found another one of those subs for a deal again last night and its on the way. I may try something if its gonna be safe. Anyways after that I bought them to resell anyway and I'll be back to my two 12's which are absolutely clean crisp reliable subs. I gotta turn the beast up one time before I grow out of this. Later
Old 17th April 2010, 04:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Run it at 3 ohms per channel. It will run perfectly fine like that.
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:41 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hey Perry, You still around here somewhere? 2 questions, (1) What is the difference between the 2100 hcca and the 2100 hcca digital reference series are they both the same amps? (2) I have an old first series xtr 12 I want to take apart, where do I start? Is there a right way? Thankss Your opinion is seeked here - what do you think a 2100 hcca dig reference amp is worth in good condition for its age? It also has the speaker wire soldered to pins instead of using the plug, is that bad?

Hide this!Advertise here!