Orion PS 100A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perry I'm really hopeing you can help me here.. all my projects have been put to a stop.. my power supply stopped showing amperage and voltage on the meters.. I lost the amp meter awhile back and now I lost the volt meter.. all they read is 1 . Can you help me?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I was hopeing you owned one... Directed will not help me one bit on this supply.. It is a LM723 based supply.. the supply still has output. no volt meter just makes it alot harder to monitor the amps when i test them... Orion made these to run sound rooms.. 100 amps continuous 250 amps max..

Last edited:
As far as I can tell the digital meters are no run of the mill... or they no longer exist.. both meters read.. 1. and thats it.. i can remove the meters and get them to work by looking at the wiring .. so the meters are good.. its somewhere on the control board i think... the two red plugs on the front half of the control board run to the meters.. so there are several wires. the pins on the meters are labeled.. the meters are made by Hytek if that helps.. you know of anybody with a schematic for this thing Perry?

The 1 reading might mean overload on the meter inputs, just something I remember from some older DPM's from long ago... I am sure its a code that indicates some issue with the DPM's input / scaling, error/ issue. Problem is every maker back then had their own ideas of what each code meant so not much uniformity between makers.

Have you checked all of those toasty looking metal film resistors and the three terminal devices standing up right on the board ?

I have seen the venerable 723 regulator do some funny things upon failure. like pulsing the output with spikes and of course complete shutdown and zero output.

Simple modern DPM's only need power, ground, and two wires for input signal. < references are built in now and scaling is usually a simple resistor setup >
I think the only reason yours has all those extra wires is because that all of the dividing and scaling networks are located on the card in front of those red plugs.
This plus the possibility that the Reference voltage signals are also created in that area would also qualify those extra wires.

If this is so then those DPM's are really rudimentary and require a bunch of secondary circuitry as seen on the big green board to get them scaled and referenced properly.
I also think the 4570 might be used to scale the milli-volt reading across a fixed resistor for current scaling. but without a much closer inspection this is just a semi educated guess. It also might be a feedback for the 723 chip also, either or...
I have seen a few of similar designs in my days, the 723 basic designs are pretty much text book stuff even for these Orion master pieces.
really old DPM's from long ago, ok 20 years ago, were all pretty much like this setup.
I would bet you could drop in some modern ones easily bypassing some of that circuitry, once you draw and reverse engineer what all those pots and pins do.

Perry has you pointed well, please don't let me misdirect your focus with my relic memory's of the early years:)

Perry
I will get those pin readings asap.. I have no idea what is all going on inside this thing.. a lot of it seems straight forward.. the protection circuit is where i start to get lost but thats not the issue at the moment..
1 more
I love this supply wouldn't get rid of it for anything.. the 4570 does look like it does drive the meters somehow.. but like i said.. beyond the 723.. i get a little lost..and relic.. yes.. but its the only supply i have ben able to charge 6 batteries.. test starters.. and dim the lights in the building with! those mj14000's in there really hang with it..lol

Pin 1: 13.64 VDC
Pin 2: 4.77 VDC
Pin 3: 0 VDC
Pin 4: -15.02 VDC
Pin 5: 0 VDC
Pin 6: 0 VDC
Pin 7: 0 VDC
Pin 8: 15.09 VDC

measurements where made with the negative meter probe on the negative output terminal..
Perry
I replaced the 4570 last night because those measurements just didnt seem right..
Now both meters work.. the Amp meter is way off calibration.. Dont know where to start on that one.. Volt meter worked for a few hours and went back to doin the same thing as before.. so I switched the ribbons between the amp and volt meter.. the correct voltage popped right up.. so the meter also had a intermittent problem.. Do you know where I could locate a meter? Also.. before I forget.. if I leave the supply off for a bit the volt meter works again for awhile..

I dont thin the connectors where dirty but who knows due to age.. And yes that op amp was bad.. as far as I can tell right now its running as it should.. the meter hasn't freaked out again.. the amp meter still does not 0 out but its close so thats good enough for me..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.