Are there really 1000W amplifiers for car?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there really 1000W or over 1000 amplifiers for car?
In later time I start to see more and more car amps that claim to have 1000W or more power. I am talking about alpine, Pioneer, Sony and not about some Chinese junk.
But I really don't believe in this. I think they are all about 300W max power but claim that have 1000W. Maybe it is peak power.

Not so much these brands, that you have mentioned, even Pioneer (entry-level). Alpine, more likely. There are brands out there, that have 10,000 Wrms and some even 20,000 Wrms into 1ohm (@18v)! These are huge SPL competion amplifiers worth thousands of dollars though. If your curious, Digital Designs amplifiers and subwoofers are some of the loudest in the world!

have a look at this :)
stetsom new 14kd .the monster....

Some of the Class D amps could deliver huge output power. Using switchers it's 'easy' enough to get the high voltages required. This of course draws a large amount of current from the 12V car supply.

In fact the power of a Class D amp could be anything you wish, provided it can be created. The limitation I would have thought would be on what current the car is capable of delivering.

These days many people consider 1000 watt amps to be small. There are many amplifiers by reputable manufacturers that will do 1000 watts plus all day long when supplied with the proper electrical system to back them up. Sadly it seems that many subwoofers are so inefficient these days that it almost requires that kind of power to get respectable volume levels.

These days many people consider 1000 watt amps to be small. There are many amplifiers by reputable manufacturers that will do 1000 watts plus all day long when supplied with the proper electrical system to back them up. Sadly it seems that many subwoofers are so inefficient these days that it almost requires that kind of power to get respectable volume levels.

Yes but I think that this days almost everyone sticks on their amps value over 1000W. That is why "noob" buyers think 1000W is nothing and they want more.

That's why real car audio enthusiast do not buy from your local big box store. They go to internet direct or small locally owned audio shops. There are lots of amps out there that would easily do 1000rms watts plus (tested at 12, 14+ volts). I wouldn't touch anything from Sony ever since they dropped off their ES line and went with those Xpold crap. Don't be so prejudiced about Chinese built amps. Mostly all of them are built over seas nowadays. US built amps cost quite a premium for the same amount of power, even if the build quality is that better. Some people just can't justify the extra cost.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.