PG Ti 1000.2 needs repair, I need input!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The amp goes into thermal protection within 30 seconds of being on and with little sound out of my sub. With the case removed a hissing/whining/buzzing noise (not the fans) can be heard in the right corner of the amplifier. The item in the picture #1 listed T2 has a slightly discoloured, burned look compared to the part listed L2 (on the left) and compared to the 2 other identical parts on the opposite side of the board. A slight burning smell was emitted in this region and the part listed T2 gets very warm where as the other 3 do not. The amp has no external fuse and the fuse rating is 80A (asked by someone on another forum?)

I haven't removed the heatsink (along the back 1/3 of the amp) to take a look underneath and all the parts look to be intact otherwise. I'd like to fix it myself with a bit of guidance and am willing to throw a dog a bone if someone can help.

I have a multimeter and soldering iron ready for some use. If any other information is needed lmk thanks

Well if this were a 50 watter I would say lets jump in together, but... this being your first amp and a huge one at that. I am inclined to tell you that PG still repairs these for flat rates. And in your best interests I suggest you contact them online and get a RMA and mail it to Florida where AAMP now has their repair facilities.
Last I checked they were still semi reasonable for a factory turn around for this model.
Now with this said up front, are you still interested in ripping into this by yourself with just some online buddy's here helping you ?

I got lots of time in these and I even have support info from old PG. But if this is your first time inside of something electronic then the SMD components alone will most likely cause you severe troubles dealing with. This and the very large design of this amp will also tend to overwhelm your senses. This amp is not for the faint of heart both to use and to work on...Plus I also suggest you read the tutorial by Perry Babin just to start your learning curve your gonna need to get thru this amp. just look for any of Perry's post and look at his links below his post, click them and start the road with his well presented web-site ...His training course will be invaluable to you both here on this amp and on other things...

PS I been repairing PG since they were the new kid on the block 20 years ago
and I only run PG gear myself. But this will not assure your success on a amp this size.
Now you LMK ;):):wchair:

Oh by the way this two channel amp sounds like one side of it has seen better days. By your description I would say blown channel and a burnt power supply, and all on one side of the amp. Seen this a few times myself and the parts count might be a tad on the high side to repair this. Plus the amp draws over 125 amperes at full power so a 80 amp fuse is a tad small IMO...unless its one of those KF style fuses then its probably ok cause the hold for 5 seconds at double their amp rating...;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.