Any help with MTX 5601 amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently had to remove my car stereo for a few weeks and when I reinstalled it (with a new CD player and all new wires) the amp is not working. I believe I am getting a voltage drop from my amp. I tested the wires and when the car is off I get 12VDC, when it is on I get 14VDC, but across the amp terminals the voltage is only 8VDC. The amp lights up for a second then just shuts off. Has anyone ever seen this problem before?

You likely have a bad connection on either the B+ or ground wire or a defective fuse.

Power up the amp and measure the DC voltage from a known good ground (not the one you're using for the amp) to the ground terminal on the amp. It should read ~0.0v DC.

If that's OK, you need to look at all of the points where a connection is made in the B+ line, starting at the battery. With the amp powered up, measure the voltage on each side of that connection to see if there is any voltage drop on that connection. Do this for the fuse also. If you find some connection that has significantly different voltage from one side to the other, it needs to be repaired.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.