Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2010, 12:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Punch 150 schematic needed

Would anyone have a schematic for this era punch 150. Apparently I recieved the wrong one from RF. If not do you know what the original P.S. and output fets should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0880.JPG (192.8 KB, 320 views)
Old 20th March 2010, 04:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Outputs were not FETs, they are 2n6488 and 2n6491 Original power suply FETs, the 2 on the boeem left of your picture were RFP 18n10 The 4 on the right side were, BUZ10 or BUZ11 depending on the age of the amp. IRF-Z44 are suitable replacements for all 6 of them.
Old 20th March 2010, 10:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It also appears that you have a blown channel < the one missing the fuses and the blown cap near the outputs >

By my experience you will also have bad drivers D40D8 and or D41D8 These can be a bit tough to find nowadays. GE stop making these a very long time ago. The power supply looks Ok visually but a ohm meter check will tell all about those devices.

The Rfp18N10 are regulator pass elements providing the 18 volt rails to the front end IIRC I would check the zener diodes feeding them. Also touch up the solder on the four power diodes on the board they run very hot and the solder gets wasted by the excessive heat these devices endure.
High speed diodes would avoid this, but that is circuit modding and if the amp can be made to work like normal its worth more left original.

The 2n6488 and 2N6490 outputs on the side missing the fuses are likely shorted this causes the fuses to blow and the cap to explode like it has.

These were fairly simple amps to repair, I taught myself how to fix these many many years ago cause Rockford Fosgate was very tight lipped about support to Non-Rockford dealers back then. They have gotten much better since then...
Hope it all works out for you on this amp. This amp was much sought after in its hay day, and I had fun modding them to TIP 35 and TIP36 outputs to increase durability at low ohm loads.

One more thing, electrolytic caps this old are usually dust inside. To get the amp to bump like it did I would replace all the electrolytic caps especially in the power supply.

If your still having troubles just keep posting your questions here. There are about 6 people here that i know about that are very well versed on this exact amp. Your questions will get answered by folks that know the answers, this I am sure of....
Old 20th March 2010, 01:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info.

One side does function and the power supply reads fine. I have ~33Vdc rails and +-18 is strong. Someone was hacking about this amp previous, that is why I asked about the output and ps parts. I bought it knowing one side didn't work, no big deal there. This amp will stay in my personal collection, so modding it won't bother me.

I don't like the lead bend tight to the body of the part, that practice isn't recommended anywhere.

So the outputs are NPN/PNP config, the schematic I recieved from rockford shows IRF540's.

Thanks again,
cory
Old 21st March 2010, 03:22 AM   #5
damage is offline damage  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moreamp View Post

By my experience you will also have bad drivers D40D8 and or D41D8 These can be a bit tough to find nowadays. GE stop making these a very long time ago. The power supply looks Ok visually but a ohm meter check will tell all about those devices.
I used BD911/BD912 on mine for drivers with no problems.
Old 21st March 2010, 03:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

To prevent any confusion, the pin configurations of the D4xD8 (EBC) and the BD91x (BCE) are different and the BD91xs are not drop-in replacements.
Old 21st March 2010, 04:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help so far, mouser has the output devices I need. Not sure if I want to hassle with the legs not matching on the drivers. Swapping the center leg with an outside one becomes a nightmare the way it is laid out.

I will have to look over the D4xD8 datasheets, maybe find a drop in replacement.
Old 22nd March 2010, 06:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I recieved the schematic from RF today, if anyone needs l can pass it along. Hand drawn, don't see to many like that anymore!!
Old 22nd March 2010, 06:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'd like a copy if you don't mind.

babin_perry@yahoo.com
Old 22nd March 2010, 07:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sent it your way Perry.

Hide this!Advertise here!