Which Rockford amp is more effiecent?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Soon I will be purchasing either one I can get ahold of. Either a Punch Power 250.2 or Punch 800a2 both need 60amp fuses and dual power connectors. I wanted to build an SQ system with two 12" subs on a ported enclosure. Which is more cleaner? I heard and 800a2 amp sounded good but the guy had it tuned a wierd way but still sounded good and loud. I need some input on these amps.

They are both class AB amps so at full power, they will have similar efficiency. The 800 is rated to produce nearly twice the power. It will probably sound better due to the additional headroom (less likely to clip) but expect it to draw significantly more current (recommended fuse isn't a good indicator of maximum current draw).

They are both class AB amps so at full power, they will have similar efficiency. The 800 is rated to produce nearly twice the power. It will probably sound better due to the additional headroom (less likely to clip) but expect it to draw significantly more current (recommended fuse isn't a good indicator of maximum current draw).

Thanks for the reply,
I'm leaning toward the 800a2 will it still blow the 60 amp fuse? I'm not going to be running it and low impedences anyway. And will I need a stronger battery for this amp? My lights do dim even with a Punch 60ix amp.

The 800 shouldn't blow the 60 amp fuse.

If the lights dim and remain dim (on long bass notes), you need a better alternator. If they dim only for a fraction of a second on long bass notes, it's likely due to regulator lag in the alternator and the alternator may be sufficient. You'll have to get the amp installed before you can determine if you need any upgrades.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.