Infinity amps? opinion? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2010, 08:34 PM   #1
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Infinity amps? opinion?

Anyone have a yay or nay on these, specifically the little older one with the silver top and blue bar down the center?

Have a set I could keep and try in the car this spring, in my gathering pile of try-it amps. They have clipping lights, that could be interesting since I don't haul my scope outside. They are big and heavy though, but I don't know a thing about them far as reliability, etc, other than the board build reminds me of an older mtx inside. Are they worth the price, better, not what you would use....?

I tried to power test a 650w class D 611a into a sub at 30Hz and it seemed close to rated, but I didn't have enough power for it my 40A got buried. It showed 450rms at 10.7v, lol, though a speaker test may be off anyway and I used their clipping light. Yeah building a load is on my list I have it just not mounted. Also the 4ch (I also have) is 4x111rms and large 4ch are harder to find, this is the largest one I have should I need that much. Suppose I wonder if the amps are related to HK at all.
Old 14th March 2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

If you have them sitting around, I'd give them a try...you already have the channels available to go active
Old 15th March 2010, 04:19 PM   #3
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

If I can find the right drivers to fit, I'd like to run a small passive comp set and midbass, then rears and subs. I can't go active on highs and keep the rears, and typically never got much advantage when I did do active tweeters. I can swap the tweeters and usually get good results eventually if they are an issue. But I ran this small comp set in the car before and liked them. I'd need 6ch to do that. I have a 4ch, a mono, and also the 2ch that is 95x2 or something. Or could run a different amp on midbass or rears....but I might never fit the midbass anyway have to wait and find that out. I have another of the 4ch a friend wants to buy, but two 4ch and sub is just way more amp than I want in there in weight and power.

Hide this!Advertise here!