Newbie Soundstream ref 604 repair - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2010, 11:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie Soundstream ref 604 repair

I've got this SS ref 604 with a dead front and rear channel. I want to try to fix but don't know where to begin. Is there any help for me? Thanks!

Michael
Old 14th March 2010, 12:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try all the switches first off do u hear anything popping/crackling out of the speaker?
Old 14th March 2010, 12:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The first thing you should do is to connect speakers to both dead channels (assuming that they don't have more than a fraction of a volt DC across them) and move all switches and potentiometers through their entire range. Does that produce audio (or any noise) on either channel?

You'll need to drive a signal into the dead channels. Confirm that the signal level is sufficient by testing it on the good channels.
Old 14th March 2010, 09:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Okeedokee, I did as was suggested and the rear channel came to life. However, the front did not. With the switches set on full range, stereo and sufficient gain to make the good channel loud, the 'dead' channel makes no noise. Then I turned the gain all the way up and the 'dead' channel made a barely audible sound. I did, at one point, get equal volume from both front channels with the switches set on full range and mono. But it was overall low volume with the gain maxed.

The DC volts on the front channels were 20.3mV on the 'dead' channel and 15.9mV on the working channel.

Michael
Old 14th March 2010, 10:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

When you checked to see if you had dc voltage on the speaker terminals.

Did you only have Power,Ground Remote hooked up No RCA'S?
Old 14th March 2010, 10:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sounds like bad switches or bad solder on the FEBs < channel driver boards >. Not much else goes wrong with these, that can't be read on a ohm meter as a shorted out or open device....
Try wiggling and cleaning the switches with contact cleaner if you get noise out to the speakers the channels are good but the switches are really dirty. Replacement might be recommended, if you can't clean and tighten them up to get them working.....You might have to remove the switches and disassemble them to get them working again. Most folks drop new ones in cause its faster...

Your DC output is within margins of a used amp, although I have seen it much lower like less then 5 MVDC you most likely would have to replace the diff transistor on the FEB board or the whole board to get it back to like new offset reading wise......hope this helps...
Old 15th March 2010, 02:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike49504 View Post
When you checked to see if you had dc voltage on the speaker terminals.

Did you only have Power,Ground Remote hooked up No RCA'S?
I checked them with everything hooked up. Should it be done differently?
Old 15th March 2010, 02:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the direction!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moreamp View Post
Sounds like bad switches or bad solder on the FEBs < channel driver boards >. Not much else goes wrong with these, that can't be read on a ohm meter as a shorted out or open device....
The FEBs are the little boards that stand up perpendicular to the main board, right? I'm a novice with electronics but have no problem digging into this. However, it is a little daunting to look at the guts and understand where to start probing for problems.

Quote:
Try wiggling and cleaning the switches with contact cleaner if you get noise out to the speakers the channels are good but the switches are really dirty. Replacement might be recommended, if you can't clean and tighten them up to get them working.....You might have to remove the switches and disassemble them to get them working again. Most folks drop new ones in cause its faster...
Great! I'll start with cleaning.

Quote:
Your DC output is within margins of a used amp, although I have seen it much lower like less then 5 MVDC you most likely would have to replace the diff transistor on the FEB board or the whole board to get it back to like new offset reading wise......hope this helps...
What does the diff transistor look like? Do you have these parts (switches, FEB or diff transistors) in stock? Where are you in NorCal? I'm in Nevada City right now. Wondering if your close by???
Old 15th March 2010, 11:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I ran cleaner through the switches to no avail. :-(

What do I look for now? I've got a descent meter just don't know how to track things down.

Thnaks again for the help!!
Old 15th March 2010, 11:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The differential transistors are the 6 or 7 legged devices on the audio driver boards (near the output transistors). The arrow in the attached photo points to the differential transistor. If yours uses the 7-legged transistor, it will be slightly different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8186bx.jpg (98.7 KB, 96 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!