Hifonics goliath - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2010, 01:41 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Sometimes, the repairs go well and you find all of the problems the first time through. Other amps can fail repeatedly before you find the problem. I've seen things like intermittently shorted inductors that took quite a bit of force (twisting/pushing on the inductor) to find the defective inductor. This type of problem can cause the amp to fail repeatedly. This isn't like the BD1500 that had relatively inexpensive parts that could be replaced in less than an hour. When this amp goes down, it's expensive and very time consuming. If you want to attempt it, we'll try to help you through it but I'd avoid it. I refuse to repair any of this type of amp that has the vertically orientated transistors.

Even if you repair it properly, it's not likely to be reliable long term because of the poor mechanical design that tends to break legs off of the FETs.

If you decide to repair it, give an estimate that will cover 3x the cost of ALL of the FETs plus what it's worth for 8 hours of labor (minimum).

I'd recommend that you tell him to send it to dB-r or back to the manufacturer.
Old 10th March 2010, 01:54 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ok ill see what he wants to do. I told him I wont warranty my work on the amp. I also told him just for parts it would be $300.00 to $350.00 .

And i told him for labor it would be probably be $200.00 That only $25.00 an hour to fix this thing .

So ill see what he wants to do in the next few days.

Ill post back when i find out what he wants to do.

But he wants to run this amp in competiton's so I kinda wanna steer away from the repair. But i guess well see
Old 10th March 2010, 02:45 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I don't know precisely how you told him that you wouldn't warranty your work. You have to be careful that he doesn't tell everyone that you don't warranty any of your work. In the future, you should tell them, prior to doing any work, that you don't really want to do the repair on this type of amp (really large, poorly designed, time consuming...) but if they have few/no other options, you'll show them that it works when they pick it up.

Explain to them that due to the poor quality of the design, that's prone to failure when used as it's designed, there's no way to provide a warranty as you would on other amps. When they pick it up, play it for as long as they want so they see it's working properly. Explain to them that it's up to them to have it properly installed and if it fails again, they will have to pay for the repair again (parts and labor). Tell them this at least twice and confirm that they understand it. You can't allow them to make 'their' problem 'your' problem.

On 'normal' amps, you should offer a warranty because there's a decent profit margin but on these, you have to handle it differently.
Old 10th March 2010, 04:04 AM   #14
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

If you do repair the amp, you may be able to seat the transistors better by touching the bottoms of the legs one at a time after the clamps are back on... to relieve some of their tension. This is of course if there is enough room to get your iron to the spots where they are soldered into the board without destroying anything nearby.

/\Ok nevermind, scratch that. I just checked some pics of random hifonics goliath models and the clamps cover the legs pretty well. By the way, which goliath model is it?

Last edited by ppia600; 10th March 2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10th March 2010, 04:26 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Its the XX goliath made by maxxsonics. Suppose to do 5000 watts X 1 rms

Hide this!Advertise here!