Battery Dead! Amp / Cap - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2010, 01:00 AM   #1
harpoon is offline harpoon  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Battery Dead! Amp / Cap

Im having an issue with my car audio setup. My battery ran dead after pounding my amp & sub for a couple hour car ride. I have a 500 watt Alpine mono channel with a capacitor. Now could this be caused by not having a big enough capacitor or Ive also heard I need a bigger Alternator.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks
Old 9th March 2010, 01:29 AM   #2
ZippyTs is offline ZippyTs  United States
diyAudio Member

What kind of car are you running? You should not be running into battery drain with only 500W. Also Caps do not help you in this situation they are for instant bass hit and nothing more. Have you went and made sure it is not a bad battery or alternator? That would be more likely the culprit.
Old 9th March 2010, 01:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Sounds like you need a larger alternator to me.
Old 9th March 2010, 01:31 AM   #4
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

You can kill the alternator and battery with too much power draw but 500watts rms shouldn't do that with the car driving. Any capacitor will help preserve the electrical system. A more powerful alternator will help as well. You might want to get your battery and alternator checked out, a 500watt amp shouldn't kill anything unless you have a really wimpy alternator and battery. What vehicle do you have? Also, what cca battery and what is your alternator current output capability?
Old 9th March 2010, 03:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The first thing you should do is to confirm that the alternator is charging. After charging the battery, turn the headlights on for about a minute then measure the DC voltage across the battery terminals. Then start the engine and measure it again.

Engine off voltage?

Engine running voltage?
Old 10th March 2010, 12:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

To determine which battery charger is the best one for the sort of battery you have, there are some things you must know. First of all, find out what kind of battery is in your motor vehicle, and find out how much storage capacity it has. Because your car battery is typically just utilized when starting your automobile, for lighting, and for your music system when your car isn't operating, and the battery recharges when the car is running, you may not think that storage capacity is that important.
Old 10th March 2010, 02:15 AM   #7
beaner is offline beaner  Canada
diyAudio Member

I had the same problem. Removed the cap from the car seemed to fix it. From what I could gather, because of the cap taking the charge from the alternator due to the amp constantly pulling the quik power draws from the cap was causing the battery not to receive it's optimal charge. I'd removed the cap altogether and upgrade the alternator or add a 2nd battery.
Old 10th March 2010, 04:19 AM   #8
kyheng is offline kyheng  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Unless you can get an ultra low ESR cap, else it won't help at all. A normal car battery can last you for 30-60 minutes only, if you still want to start your car back. Your monoblock won't draw 50amp.....
Old 7th April 2010, 09:14 PM   #9
harpoon is offline harpoon  United States
diyAudio Member

well the culprit was in fact my battery, after all of the troubleshooting. Thanks for the help all.

Hide this!Advertise here!