how to fix memphis pb600 cracked board - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2010, 11:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default how to fix memphis pb600 cracked board

i got a memphis pb600 that has a cracked board right near the power input and speaker output so im wondering if i can run jumper leads across the cracks ?Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th March 2010, 03:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You'll need to scrape the solder mask (blue coating) off of the traces and bridge them with either wire or desoldering braid (preferred). Be careful not to bridge between adjacent traces.
Old 9th March 2010, 01:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I also use Loctite 444 to repair the fracture and to cover the new repair.
Old 9th March 2010, 02:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

dose Loctite 444 conduct electricity
Old 9th March 2010, 03:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

i also notice that one of the potentiometers for the low pass filter is broken, the number on it is KIE38100K(OHM SYMBOL)X2YD or a O not sure what the last one is but im pretty sure its a D, and body know were i can get a replacement cus all i can find are the 3 prong ones and this one has 6, and i noticed the bass boost switch is missing and was wondering if it plugged into these 2 3-pin terminals or what plugs in hereClick the image to open in full size.
Old 9th March 2010, 06:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Loctite 444 is essentially the same as super glue and is NOT what you want on a point where you may have to apply heat. Mercaptan cured epoxy is another adhesive you'll want to avoid using on a point where heat may have to be applied. If you have to use an adhesive, use JB Weld. It takes a while to set but it's strong, it can take a lot of heat and doesn't produce unpleasant fumes/odors when heated with a soldering iron.

Contact Memphis to see if they can supply the potentiometer. Also ask them about the internal connectors.
Old 13th March 2010, 04:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

they finally got back to me and they said
" Unfortunately we do not sell parts. The PB600 is no longer eligible for service by our facility.
Sorry we are unable to fulfill your request. you may notice that this potentiometer is most likely standard on other amplifiers."

any ideas what amps use the same parts
Old 13th March 2010, 05:08 PM   #8
spooney is offline spooney  United States
diyAudio Member

memphis is terrible about repairing or supporting items that aren't current. perhaps you could get some measurements and find another potentiometer that would fit in the same spot. How is it broken? is the shaft broken? or does it not actually adjust the low pass filter frequency?
Old 13th March 2010, 08:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Get the power supply end of the amp repaired, set the crossover to flat/full range and make sure the amp works, otherwise, before you put too much effort into finding the pot. It's not a common part and there won't be many sources for an exact replacement. There are other options (radio shack 100k stereo pot, etc.) but they may not fit into the location on the board and may have to be hard-wired in.

Do NOT apply power to the amp without having ALL transistors tightly clamped to the heatsink and a 10 amp fuse in the B+ line.
Old 14th March 2010, 07:42 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

its snapped right off, i soldiered all the connections back up i used a 2 amp power supple and the amp powers up the fan comes on the light goes from red to green and stays lit green but no voltage at the speaker terminals, but im kinda thinking its cus the pot is snapped off, or maybe cus of the small power supply. all i can find at radio shack is 3 pin pots this one has 6

Hide this!Advertise here!