Sub on a cycle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I want to mount a woofer on a motorcycle by incorporating it into the helmet case behind the seat. It will be facing forward at my back.

I have decided to go vented for a few good reasons...the driver can't be too big (10" is my limit) and it needs to be loud to be heard, plus there is no cabin gain.

Would there be issues with the driver (and the port) copping a constant flow of air at them?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thank you, but when doing it this way there is little distraction as the road and traffic noise is not blocked out, even at higher volumes.

The driver has stiff suspension. I guess it would be held permanently off centre for an increase in even order harmonics and power handling, but the question is how much, (too much)?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Loud exhausts on bikes here are considered a safety feature. Anyway I need the volume for highway use and I don't feel the need to blast the suburbs.

I've considered pointing the driver downward. I know it should have all round dispersion at these frequencies but I can't help but think I'd lose some of the SPL doing it that way.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Great idea, but I should explain. In order to get the required output from the mains I'll need to cross into the audible region. I'm thinking between 100-200Hz. Sorry about the thread title as this is beyond sub territory.

I would not want bugs and stones hitting the sub, but really if they do have some air the port should equalize the box pressure to keep the sub centered right? I suppose the sub could have more surface area. You could try bandpass but they tend to be larger. Maybe foam speaker grill in front would help.

I'd build one to test, tune for say good 40Hz and up, should be able to put out with that. Get a class d amp since you don't have much power there...that is what I would try for. Use a more efficient sub, however more efficient tends to tune higher in a small box. Maybe minimum power handling might be most efficient tuned low enough to work in your ported box size. Another way is a passive radiator, though they might like buffeting wind less if exposed a lot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.