Bought another Alpine 7909....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Playlists. Learn to use them. There are other user interfaces well, that are left up to the imagination. Perhaps you should use the right side of your brain more to find your own userface that suits your needs? :p

Haha, rude indeed

Harddrive/thumbdrive, etc etc. Done.

There is nothing more durable about using a hard drive over a burned cheap copy. Drives fail as well, I've killed several (different brands) from constant use in my car.

There have been controlled studies done the indicate there is no statiscially significant result proven people can tell a difference.;) Encoding schemes are rather intelligent and improve the more we learn about the human brain. I would rather bitch that many modern day recordings are destroyed the second they hit the shelf or when someone puts their own creative touch during the production process.

Actually this totally depends on the bit rate the stereo unit can transfer the files at. On my kenwood EXCELON for example, the bit rate of the converter for the usb input is WAY slower than the converter in the cd da section. If you can't hear the difference in 194kps vs an original or even quality burned cd you really have no business discussing this subject.

So do you plan on putting a reel to reel or record player in your car? At some point you have accepted digital into your life as it is more practical, someday you will be even more accepting I predict-you have already accepted carrying around flash drives over CD's for data.

Digital drives are practical if you just want some kind of music in your car. Until the transfer rate capability goes up signifigantly though, I will continue to be able to tell the difference in the drive vs cd's.

That is not a convient place for them if you wanted to change one out.

That's where I store my extra jump drives

The meat or the point of all this:

I'll bet that the extra $500+ spend on this cd player could have been more wisely spend improving the acoustics end of a car audio install that will yield a higher quality listening experience and polls mean nothing other than popular opinion.

Acoustics > electronics

Haha, nope

Buy a pyramid cd player with usb input, pyramid amp and pyramid speakers and install them in your ultra quiet 2010 lincoln sedan and tell me how nice it sounds. You'll hear every crackle, hiss, buzz and thump that comes out of that pos headunit. Acoustics and electronic fidelity go hand and hand but I can tell you a crappy deck will sound crappy no matter which vehicle you put it in. If there are digital artifacts and hiss coming from your usb converter section you'll hear it in my impreza just like you'll hear it in a well insulated sedan.

Last edited:
Playlists. Learn to use them.

Yet another menu. If I want specific tracks, I'll burn a disc.
But many of my favorite tracks have become so by leaving a disc (or tape) in and playing the entire thing.

Playlists encourage fickle listening and stifle understanding the artist.

There have been controlled studies done the indicate there is no statiscially significant result proven people can tell a difference.;)

Which people? For example, my wife could care less. Boom box or HT, she wouldn't notice a difference. OTOH, I do and that's why I'm on this forum.

I would rather bitch that many modern day recordings are destroyed the second they hit the shelf or when someone puts their own creative touch during the production process.

Absolutely agreed.

So do you plan on putting a reel to reel or record player in your car?

I already told you, Nak tape deck.

At some point you have accepted digital into your life as it is more practical,

There are very few things that I HAVE to accept. I'm still working on death and taxes, USB audio is waaaay down the line.

Don't get me wrong, for background music in the kitchen it's fine. But the car is where I can listen undisturbed.

Depends on what your definition of "fidelity" is. I think a large majority perfers some type of HT over boombox/TV speakers for entertainment.

Yeah, but neither is fidelity as I would define it.

The meat or the point of all this:
(snip)

No, the point of all this is that your initial comment:
Suckers born everyday.

It really makes no sense these days to have a CD player in a car.

is ENTIRELY a matter of opinion, and not at all a matter of fact.

Unsuspecting readers deserve to know that.

It's ABSOLUTELY nothing personal. as Rob said, "To each their own."
My 23 yr old uses SD in his car. I'm considering changing out my wife's stock deck for a AM/FM/USB/SD/iPod ONLY player, with no CD. For her personal preference.

My CD player stays in place until it chokes. I'm already looking for a backup.

Rob's 7909 is indeed a wonderful CD player...

It sounds great, so great that the rest of your system shoud be so lucky as to have it's output to work with.
It's daftly easy to use, with a volume knob that turns the volume down or up as quickly and smoothly as you want it to, and tone controls are sliders that you can operate without looking. Same with balance and fader.

Zero menus.

As long as Rob's 7909 continues to function, he will never have a need to update his source unit.

My 7904 is jealous.

As far as I'm concerned this supposed " better" technology is the same old ****.

Here, here! Long live vinyl.

LoL.
Well the 7909 has 'analog' feature to it.. :D ie: volume control. :devily:

A good preamp with a decent power supply, too.

I tend to remember the 7909 having a hard time playing recorded CDs made with a circa 1993 Marantz CD recorder. Then again, I was using those TDK discs with the greenish recording layer that didn't hold up very well or track very well in a variety of car CD players.

I remember blank media costing $12 per disc, recording in real time, and waiting about 10 minutes for the disc to close. Those were the days!

That Marantz must have cost a pretty penny in '93!

Several DJs went in together on the purchase either $2k or $2,500 each! At the time it was nice to carry one CD with 11 or 12 singles on it versus hauling vinyl and CDs around. ETA: In 1998 I started archiving my original recorded CDs because the top layers had started to flake off on some. So much for a 200 year archival life when the first discs didn't make it much longer than 5 years.

I made my way out of DJing in 2007 when everyone was switching over to computer DJing with either Control Vinyl or Control CDs. Now it seems that video mixing is the "in" thing.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.