Hifonics Olympus VII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perry,

Do you or does anyone know the value of theese resistors??

As you can tell they are badly burnt

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 110
It's generally due to abuse but it can happen if there is an open shield ground in the amp or head unit.

I agree abuse. I have replaced hundreds of these resistors over the years. 2.7 ohms 2 watt, you can try 5 watt for durability reasons.

These like to toast up like this on extreme clipping situation like trunk bass. The open ground Perry mentioned would have ground loop noise so bad you would not be able to listen to it for more then 10 seconds without shutting it off. Unless the amp was connected to subs in a trunk where all you could hear would be muffled bass rattling the vehicle. Some folks will listen to anything you know...lol :)

I saw those resistors burnt to ashes in several ZED-Amps from that era.
Most of them failed because of open signal grounds.

Nearly always the the ground pin was broken directly at the PCB, probably a manufacturing fault at those cinch connectors.
Check that by bending/twisting the connector a bit, because sometimes there was no open ground when I had the amp disassembled on my bench,
but reassembled with the sideplates on it, signal ground read open.

I have a problem still with this amp if the board is out of the sink its idles perfect.

As soom as i put the board back into the sink and clamp stuff down it draws current. I have the insulator paper in place and its in good condition.

And when i was trying to figure out why i bump 1 of the side plated and it started sparking.

Any ides on whats causing this?

I used to have the olympus VII and loved it to death back in the day. I had two, and each time they were stolen... I miss those amps! I still have the plug connectors in a box somewhere. Sorry for highjacking your thread, but I had to give a shout out to such a wonderful old school amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.