IRF540N in place of IRF540 in MTX Thunder 2300

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anybody ran into or heard of any problems using IRF540N in place of IRF540 as outputs in an MTX Thunder 2300 or similiar series amplifier. Everybody seems to be out of the IRF540 right now. Is there any other suffix IRF540 that is known to work better?

IRF540N has even better characteristics than IRF540, less Rdson, faster switching. Should be no problem to use this. ;)

I know on paper its a better part but I worked on a rockford amp that did all kinds of weird things with IRF540N's in it. When I put in the IRF540 all the issues went away. I've got some IRF540A's on the way(found a great price on them) to try and ressurect this thing. I will report back and let everyone know how they work out.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let everyone know that the IRF540A worked great in this amp as a replacement. No modifications were necessary to make it work in the channel of this amp that I replaced.

Ahhh live and learn I guess. Fets can vary a bunch from maker to maker and process to process. What looks good on paper does NOT always work out well. PDF files are salesman's tools and a approximate document at best. Some circuitry just can not be altered without odd things happening. Glad to hear you got it all worked out John..

I have a apple box full of different brand and type Mosfets just because of the issues you have described in this post. One of these days I am gonna sell that apple box full of fets and make some tech very happy....;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.