Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2003, 08:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ssertoglu Send a message via MSN to ssertoglu
Question Car Audio Suitable Preamp for Discman

I want to use a VCD-MP3 Discman in my car . But i think the mic line is not suitable to may amplifiers high input. Can anyone suggest how to find or make a preamp for use with discman.
Old 9th June 2003, 03:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Does your amplifer have RCA type inputs? If it does, it probably can drive the amp. If not it won't, then you have the easy choice of using a op-amp.

Hmm. I have no idea what you can get where you live, but first guess your need Single sided supply opamp, 4volts p-p, 10mv output? Anyone think of a good generic for this?
Old 9th June 2003, 08:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ssertoglu Send a message via MSN to ssertoglu
Default RCA Type Inputs

Yes, my amp have RCA type inputs , the problem is i have to get the line out of discman from the discmans earphone out jack so the sound comes with distortion and lots of bass when the volume is at top. My old discman have a line out except from the earphone out . The sound is crystal clear when i use line out. But my new discman doesn't have one. I don't know how much V's the earphone out sends to the amp but i beleive it is below a car tape.
Old 9th June 2003, 08:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Like I said, I have no idea what parts are available to you - it seems to vary a great deal between country to country. But you need a basic audio op-amp (a dual would be nice) and some powersupply stuff. I suspect that a simple voltage divider for the 12v of a car power would be fine - /+ 5 or 6v in most of these would allow you to get 2 or 3 volts of output from the opamp. This is more than enough to work. The OPA2134 is about $1 in the US, so with a few other parts (little plug in, rca outs, perhaps a pot to trim the gain level?.

Look to see what is available.
Old 9th June 2003, 09:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

average output on a headphone level is 300mv....so its going to be tricky to drive it but you can with some op amps like the post above....2volts is plenty so a dual +-6vdc will suffice

Hide this!Advertise here!