Rockford punch 201s blowing inline fuse! need Help! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2010, 12:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rockford punch 201s blowing inline fuse! need Help!

Hey everyone first off i have nothing but bad luck with almost every amp i own. unless it's cheap and i mean cheap, last forever sounds horible. My problem now is i just hooked up a borrowed at that Rockford Fosgate Punch 201s to my sony xplod 10" sub. Worked amazing last night and this morning on way to work. After work turned on amp and loud pop blew inline fuse. Came home pulled bottom cover off and my 2200uF 16v capasistor was blown. So i replaced it hooked it back up same thing blew fuse again. amp does not have burnt smell at all and obviously a short somewhere inside. any help would be apreciated because not only now do i still have to buy myself a new amp but if i can't fix this i'm going to have to replace this amp as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 9th February 2010, 01:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What ohm load were you running?

Does the fuse only blow 'after' you applied remote voltage (turned the head unit on)?
Old 9th February 2010, 02:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

i was running 4ohm load, this which amp pushes 200 watts bridged at 4ohm. and it no blows inline fuse without remote wire connected. i have an old pioneer amp but it's an old 4ch amp and does not have the power to push the sub. but just incase people are thinking it's the wiring i have had other amp hooked up without a problem. Just wierd worked perfect parked car went into work, got off work started car and that was all she wrote. didn't even get a thump before it blew.
Old 9th February 2010, 03:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Measure the DC voltage across the B+ and ground terminals of the amp (head unit off) with the engine running. What is the voltage? Measure it at idle and at ~2000 RPMs.
Old 9th February 2010, 08:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I can't.. i can't even hook wires up without blowing fuse. there is a short inside amp somewhere was hoping someone would have an idea where to start. i don't need remote wire hooked up to blow fuse so doesn't matter if car is on off or if deck is on or not.
Old 9th February 2010, 08:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Measure the voltage across the battery terminals at idle and at ~2000RPMs.
Old 9th February 2010, 09:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

gave up took it to local repair guy 3 of mosfets fried along with other stuff. never again will i buy anything from rockford. cheap garbage.
Old 9th February 2010, 09:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Rockford, with very few exceptions (HD and similar amps), has made good quality reliable amps.

I'm guessing that you have a Camaro. If so, it (like many GM vehicles) could have a relatively common problem that's causing the charging system voltage to spike.

Hide this!Advertise here!