Amp Powering Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. As mentioned in my Intro, I am fairly a rookie when dealing with car audio. Simple installs I can complete. I have what may seem to be a silly question, but here goes.

Does an amp require a certain amout of power to push a sub? I ask this because I recently installed a alpine mrp-m500 in my car and I am not able to get any sound from the speakers. However, the amp is powering up. I know that the audio line feeding the amp work because I just connected to a speaker just to be sure and that worked as well. I have tried all I can think of to get this thing working so I am resorting to asking questions such as the one above. Very confused at the moment and hope someone can just turn on the light bulb for me. I hope I stated that clear enough, feels like I am talking in circles. Thanks in advance.

Ok, so I retract my recent response. I must have been doing something wrong. Prior to me even powering up the amp, i noticed that I am getting like a 5 am reading on the power from the battery. When powered up, it stays around that and the remote is reading 12v. could this be a problem?

OK, so, I feel like a real dummy now. I got her working again. It appears the wire at the in-line fuse was loose and was not maintaining the power across it. While I feel bad, I must say I learned a lot in this process. Thanks to all of you for trying to help me out. I really do appreciate it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.