Rockford Fosgate 451s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok cool got the amp up and running perfect.

Not to switch amps on you but i have a 360.2 . All fets test fine drivers test fine and gate resistors test fine. The 337 and 317 were off the board tryed powering it up and it draws excessive current like crazy wondering what might cause this?

451S will not power on

I've been running two RF 451S (awesome!) amps for years on a couple of Pioneer XMPP's bridged down @ 8 ohms each amp/woofer with reversed polarity.
They sounded great, and the amps ran cool for hours, but the woofers would clip easily at low frequencies.
So, I tried upgrading to a pair of Aura 12.4s, and this is what happened:

1 amp/woofer powered right up and sounded GREAT! No distortion at low frequencies and pretty much exceeded the SPL of two XMPPs. :D

1 amp/woofer sound like bvvvvt - bvvvvvt - bvvvvt, so I immediately ran to my front seat and and powered off the stereo. :eek:

Upon inspection, it seems like I was sent a faulty woofer. When I gently push the cone in and out, I hear a loud scratchy noise.
Now, the amplifier that was connected to this faulty woofer will not power on.

I'm not much of an electronics troubleshooting guy, I do computer networking for a living - but one of my co-workers is very good with electronics.

Does anyone here have any idea what could have possibly happened?
What questions should I ask him, or even have him look at?

With the speaker disconnected it will not power on, nothing, nada.

HELLPPP!! :(

These amps are like irreplaceable, and I've treasured the both of them and treated them with nothing but care for their entire lives!

- Justin

The amp could have failed and damaged the woofer. The woofer could have failed and caused the amp to fail. You could have has a defective woofer.

Disconnect the woofer from the amp, confirm that the fuse is intact and see if it will power up. If it does, measure the DC voltage across the speaker terminals to confirm that it's well under 1v before connecting another woofer to it.

If you need further help, copy and paste posts #9 and 10 into a new thread and I'll try to help. I won't answer any more questions here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.