Going to use four cvt65 kicker shallow subs for bass and mids... get 2 or 4 ohm? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2010, 04:43 AM   #1
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Going to use four cvt65 kicker shallow subs for bass and mids... get 2 or 4 ohm?

I decided to experiment and try the kicker shallow 6.5" subs. They handle 150watts rms and seem to have enough cone area to create good mid bass and I'm sure with enough clean power going to them I can force them to produce upper mids as well. I will have them in the front doors and the rear deck free air. What I'm trying to decide is whether to run 4 or 2 ohm version. I'm running two ppi a600.2 amps in stereo mode. What I'm wondering is if running the 2ohm version will change the damping factor of the amps enough to modify the frequency response characteristics of the woofers enough for me to notice... as in a negative way. I ran my old a600 at 4ohm mono liquid cooled and the power output increased tremendously and seemed to maintain a flat response, at least when running subs. Any recommendations or things to worry about besides overpowering the subs?
Old 31st January 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I ordered the 2ohm version today, maybe that will give a little more headroom. I'll post back on this in a week or two (when I get the car back together)
Old 6th February 2010, 02:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well although I don't have my car back together I did recieve the cvt 6.5 subs and they appear to be too large to fit in the doors. They are a little deeper than my components and the basket will require a larger hole. Fitting them in the rear deck would be no problem but since I plan on getting another car to transfer my drivetrain into, I won't be able to check the front door fitment for quite a while. I should have waited to order the subs because I found out a few days back that my car is twisted pretty badly and I'll have to find another body.

Hide this!Advertise here!