Full range or tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My current setup is

kenwood dnx9140
rockford 3sixty2
peerless sls 8 fiberglassed in the doors bandpassed from 55-350hz
tang bang w3 1364sa fiberglassed in the apillars highpassed @ 350
jl audio hd 600/4 on the sls 8's (does 300 x 2 bridged)
mb quart dsc 2150 on the tang bang mids
2 12" ssa xcons in 4 cubes tuned to 30hz
sundown 3500

My shop just finished the install about the week ago and it came out amazing. The system sounds fantastic at low to mid volume but once i turn the volume up the 8's and the tang bang mids start to muddy up.

The shop i go to told me i can either do 2 things, get a mid that can handle more power and be crossed lower, or add a tweeter to take stress off the mid.

I would really like to go with another full range since adding tweeters will end up costing more(apillars need to be cut up again, another amp.)

I need a 3" full range i can play highpassed @ 200 hz that can handle 60w+

Or a good tweet that can handle 100-125 highpassed @ 2k

budget is $100.

Thanks

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I know a few people using FF85Ks in their dash in a 2-way setup, and they work great...I'll ask them where they have their HP filters, but I don't believe they have an issue with running out of displacement.

A Hybrid Audio L3 comes to mind as a perfect "nearly" full range that can take a bunch of power and have very low distortion, but it's not in your budget even used.

The shop i go to told me i can either do 2 things, get a mid that can handle more power and be crossed lower, or add a tweeter to take stress off the mid.

You may be able to alleviate the problem by raising the crossover points for the 8's and 3's.

Play with it before tossing out components, it's cheap and fun. And compromises usually get the last word.

Because you have xo highpass filter it should only "vibrate"

makes sense

You may be able to alleviate the problem by raising the crossover points for the 8's and 3's.

Play with it before tossing out components, it's cheap and fun. And compromises usually get the last word.

I forgot to mention that the sls 8's are usually only suppose to be played up to 250ish. I only crossed them higher because the mids couldn't be crossed lower

I run the same setup. Peerless SLS 8 with W3 bamboo. A few questions...

How are the W3's aimed?
What slopes are the crossovers?
What vehicle is this in?

Its tough to imagine them not getting loud enough. I listen at spirited levels and they sound fantastic.

There are a couple of things that are potential issues when instaling these.

#1- The enclosure type for the W3. Is it IB in the pillars? These drivers need a sealed enclosure as they have just 0.5mm xmax. This is especially crucial is you use high power and lower crossover points. The enclosure should be about 0.5-0.75 liters sealed for optimum performance. Without a sealed enclosure these will reach and exceed xmax very easily and youll end up with all kinds of bad sounds ;)

#2- The aiming should really be on axis to the listener. These drivers are fantastic when used on axis, but off axis the top end drops off considerably. If they are not aimed on axis to your listening position, you will need to add a tweeter for the upper frequencies.

For crossover settings, I recommend 50-250hz @ -18db for the SLS and 315 -20K @ -18db for the W3's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.