PPIPC1400.2 Blown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These regulators are design internally to shutdown in the event of a short circuit or overload. The damage you speak of sounds more like a lightning strike.

The Sg 3525 might be ok, and the blown caps might be a symptom of when the power mosfets folded over on themselves. I have seen these issues before, along with fried outputs, and no or improper fusing of the amp. I.E. its been dawged by a previous owner.
The 15 volt rail would worry me a lot also, as this is the entire front end of the amp with all of its ICs being possibly damaged. Hopefully the regulator went open right away preventing full rail supply from hitting all those ICs up front.

Does this amp have the ceramic SIP channel driver cards in it? Beware of these having bad solder joints, and if you need one the best place to get one is out of another PPI amp. avoiding building your own replacements if possible.

I would do a partial rebuild on the supply by not installing all the power fets and caps, then repairing the 15 reg, and removing all bad outputs and then simple bench testing of the amp by powering it up with a well regulated and protected bench supply. This would at least tell you if the front end is burned and weather of not its wise to continue on sinking time into this project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.