Trying to repair MMats 3500.1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you read ~0 ohms between the legs of any of the outputs, it's likely that at least one has failed and all of them (the IRFB4710s) will have to be replaced. You need to remove them to test them definitively. Replace the IC also. If the diode has failed, of course, you'll have to replace that.

If you're unsure of how to test the FETs, go to the following page and read the sections in the orange rectangles in this image (<- click).

Basic Amplifier Repair - Transistor Test Applet Link

I was referring to the HIP4080 driver IC. This IC drives the output transistors.

The IC near the power supply power transformers produces the signal to drive the power supply FETs.

The LM2901 is part of the protection circuit.

The two 8 pin ICs are a buffer between the power supply driver IC and the power supply FETs.

The three 14 pin ICs near the potentiometers process the preamp level audio signal.

I repair amps but I really don't like these amps and don't want to repair it. Everyone tries to drive them into extremely low ohm loads (below what they can handle reliably) which causes them to fail. Also, in my opinion, the FETs they are driving are too much of a load for the driver IC.

mmats d50hc still works in my car , after 1 1/2 years of abuse, wired to its normal ohm load. i always thought that the older mmats amps are more reliable then the new models.

Are there unregulated power supply amps that produce over 2k rms, that are reliable, that you can recommend.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.