Fosgate Punch 40x2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have repaired many of these DSM amplifiers and most times it is a problem in the AF drive circuits associated with the distorted channel, which are all surface mount devices and not the easiest to troubleshoot. Most times it is a small SMT transistor that is shorted and causing one half of the outputs to bias into cutoff and thus output is half wave and while intelligible, it is severely distorted. Hope this helps.....V

Okay so I got that in the mail today a d tried it out and the right channel sounds clean but the left one sounds terribly distorted and I tried bridging but it still sounded dirty. Do you think the outputs are shorted in that channel? I haven't opened it yet but when I got it the sink was all correded like as if it was in a area where there's moister. Any help would be great. Thanks

The first thing you need to do is visually inspect it. If the board is badly corroded, there's not much you can do with it.
Okay I looked inside and saw nothing bad but alot of dust and spider webs inside. Hey I also have another question? What if I remove the power supply transistors and put them in my punch 40.2? Do you think the are the same type of mosfets? Or would it still smoke up?

Are the transistors held down with clamps in both amps or are they soldered to an insulator strip in the 40.2?

With no FETs in the 40.2, connect the amp to a power supply and power it up. Measure the DC voltage on the first leg of each of the power supply FETs. It should be ~5v DC. Place the black meter probe on the chassis ground terminal of the amp when measuring the voltage.

There is a gate resistor connected to the first leg of each power supply FET. What are the markings on them?

What resistance do you measure across them (no power applied).

I have repaired many of these DSM amplifiers and most times it is a problem in the AF drive circuits associated with the distorted channel, which are all surface mount devices and not the easiest to troubleshoot. Most times it is a small SMT transistor that is shorted and causing one half of the outputs to bias into cutoff and thus output is half wave and while intelligible, it is severely distorted. Hope this helps.....V

Yes! That's exactly what I'm experienceing with the amp. And would you replace those? I honestly thought the outputs were bad on that side.

Hi all, I'm refreshing this old post because I'm having the same problem.. how do you have solved the channel distortion? My board seams to be in good condition, I cleaned and restored the varistors. Were the power supply FET's?

This is the scheme of the board. Hope you can help me, I'm so affectionate to my old school amplifiers! 🙂

Attachments

• Rockford_Fosgate_Punch_40.2_sch.pdf
    415.2 KB · Views: 41
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.