Rockford fosgate amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got 75 rockford fosgate amps in to fix. All the amps have the same problem the power and output sides are toasted.

the power supply fets are mtp50n06v wondering if theres a good sub for theese or should i use the orginals?

2nd question: Are any of theese amps good Like when rockford made quality amps some of the modle numbers are

punch 55.2

punch 60.2

punch 360a

punch 300s -n- 400s

and alot more

The IRF-Z44 should be a good drop in replacement for the 50N06. Just get the driver circuit working properly and drop them in. All of the talk about Rpclfprd and when they made quality equipment, at what point in time are you guys talking about? I think everything after the PR-250 has been ahead of it's time in technology and reliability. The only reason the pR-250 was an inferior product was their attempt to lead the industry with some new technology that did not work out for them. Their failure rate is not because of poor quality. It is more related to faulty D to A converters that link Craniums and right hands together. People buy Rackford amps with the intention of abusing them. They began soldering the transistors to the Mehsa strips in an effort to cut costs. This build method was a brief speedbump in repairing these amps. I have seen many of these amps destroyed by the same repair shop because they were breaking the transistors off of the strip. I used to whine about the method too. Once they figured out it worked and was cheaper to build, they stuck with it. They had 2 choices, that was one and the other resided in Asia. They chose to do what they could in order to cut cost before having to outsource the work there. They did finally have to go that route, but they tried and lasted longer than any other big manufacturer. They could have given us some Asian built junk long before they made the move. They tried and I think they did a very good job trying to protect their product.

I think all the bad rap came when they changed the way they rated their amplifiers power output. Years ago a punch 200DSM or 200IX was rated at 100WPC into a 4 ohm stereo load. At the introduction of the a2 or the (.)2 line I forget when they made the transition, they began giving the public it's power into a 2 ohm stereo load. So if you bought a Punch 250a2 or 250(.)2 you basically have a Punch 112.5 because that is what they claimed it did into a 4 ohm load. 62.5 WPC however into a 2 ohm stereo load it would do 125WPC. People would buy these amps and were wondering why their old punch 200 had more power. I did not like it when they did this, but I never thought that the quality of their praduct was to question, marketing strategy, probably so,

Just had to say it. Have a good day.

Last edited:
If I even mentioned 75 amps the wife would kick my a$$. Its bad enough now the ups and mail carrier know me!!

I like working on the newer rockford amps, the quality of solder and placement seems better. Nothing worse than the surface mounts resistors mounted upside down.

And yes irfz44 is a good sub.

Let me elaborate a little on what I said. Personally I have always liked any rockford amp. I know in the car audio circles many people think that rockford quality went south when they started to sell at best buy but if you look at the internals I dont see any change in that era that made them any less reliable than the older models.

Dont get me wrong im not saying they are junk amps. Just heard alot of rumors about theese amps. People saying wow theese are junk bestbuy crap.

Ive always liked fosgate amps. And yes people abuse the hell out of them like turning the gain all the way up and trying to run 62 subs off it at a .5 ohm load and wondering why the amp burns up.

I have 75 of theese to fix along with another 25 amps to fix like orion,ppi,massive,ads,hifonics,soundstream,alpine,kenwood, us amps, ect so i guess im gonna be busy for awhile

I think all the bad rap came when they changed the way they rated their amplifiers power output. Years ago a punch 200DSM or 200IX was rated at 100WPC into a 4 ohm stereo load. At the introduction of the a2 or the (.)2 line I forget when they made the transition, they began giving the public it's power into a 2 ohm stereo load. So if you bought a Punch 250a2 or 250(.)2 you basically have a Punch 112.5 because that is what they claimed it did into a 4 ohm load. 62.5 WPC however into a 2 ohm stereo load it would do 125WPC. People would buy these amps and were wondering why their old punch 200 had more power. I did not like it when they did this, but I never thought that the quality of their praduct was to question, marketing strategy, probably so,

Just had to say it. Have a good day.

I had a pair of Punch 250a2s that I left in my 2000 Honda Accord coupe when I sold it in 2006. A father was buying the car for his teenage son and the son was so happy to get a couple of what he called "old school" amps. Kid was only 17, and calling amps from 1999 or 2000 "old school"...:D

As for the later amps... I have a Punch 300x, a 2 ohm stable Power 1000 bd, a power 351s, and a P5002 that have all been problem free. I also gave a 25 to Life Power 1000 to a friend of mine because it was just too HUGE for my Mustang.

Granted, I have been experiencing weird issues with my 25 to Life Power 1000 that I purchased used. Every now and again, it just won't turn on, then when I probe the remote turn on with my meter, it kicks on. I am thinking that I have a bad solder joint on the circuit board but have been too lazy to pull the amp to check. Maybe this weekend.

People buy Rackford amps with the intention of abusing them.

Fair amount of truth there. I can't remember how many times I've heard a story about how somebodies friend ran their punch 200,punch 150, or punch anything at 1 ohm mono and it lasted forever. Then they try it and out comes the magic smoke and now rockford fosgate is "junk". Some people just don't understand that the manufacturer rates an amp at a given impedance for a reason.

Last edited:
I had a pair of Punch 250a2s that I left in my 2000 Honda Accord coupe when I sold it in 2006. A father was buying the car for his teenage son and the son was so happy to get a couple of what he called "old school" amps. Kid was only 17, and calling amps from 1999 or 2000 "old school"...:D

As for the later amps... I have a Punch 300x, a 2 ohm stable Power 1000 bd, a power 351s, and a P5002 that have all been problem free. I also gave a 25 to Life Power 1000 to a friend of mine because it was just too HUGE for my Mustang.

Granted, I have been experiencing weird issues with my 25 to Life Power 1000 that I purchased used. Every now and again, it just won't turn on, then when I probe the remote turn on with my meter, it kicks on. I am thinking that I have a bad solder joint on the circuit board but have been too lazy to pull the amp to check. Maybe this weekend.

I have one 225.2 two punch 55.2's and one punch 40.2 and one punch 150a2. I always thought they were old school. I always run them at 4 ohms mono and even in 4 ohm stereo because i have no speakers that are 2 ohms. ESP my 225 i'm running a 8 ohm 18'' Kicker Competition (old C18A) model in a ported box in my 1994 Honda Civic coupe. That thing bangs sooooo hard!!

Power supply MOSFET number?

I just got 75 rockford fosgate amps in to fix. All the amps have the same problem the power and output sides are toasted.

the power supply fets are mtp50n06v wondering if theres a good sub for theese or should i use the orginals?

2nd question: Are any of theese amps good Like when rockford made quality amps some of the modle numbers are

punch 55.2

punch 60.2

punch 360a

punch 300s -n- 400s

Hi,

what's the model numbers for the power supply fets for the punch 60.2? Are those by motorola also? I just got blown one on the away to repair I just need to find a replacement for the power supply as soon I check the drive circuitry. Thanks

and alot more

I used the Irfz44's In the one I had for repair. Im pretty sure you can use irfz44n's or the irf3205's in this amp and have no problems. But like Perry said if the outputs are bad The irf540n's wont work in this amp. I tryed the 540n's in the amp i had in for repair and it kept blowing them up withing 2 mins. So i put the 540's in it and it worked flawless .

I used the Irfz44's In the one I had for repair. Im pretty sure you can use irfz44n's or the irf3205's in this amp and have no problems. But like Perry said if the outputs are bad The irf540n's wont work in this amp. I tryed the 540n's in the amp i had in for repair and it kept blowing them up withing 2 mins. So i put the 540's in it and it worked flawless .

I'm not sure what's shorted and how bad the power supply is jacked up because I'm waiting for it to come in the mail. btw what's the rail voltage? I'm just hoping this amp is not fried up the a**. Paid $8 for it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.