Hifonics hercules xi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
when powering up the amp it goes into overload. I pulled 4 of the outputs and powerd it up and it seems not to go into overload.

First question is the outputs they are using are rfp70n06 whats a good sub for theese. its my own amp so getting the excat part really doesnt matter to me

Pic of amp hifonics hercules xi

Attachments

• amp1.JPG
    amp1.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 81
It should work with 7 of the 8 outputs in it well enough to tell you if it has any other problems. Be sure to clamp them.

If it works properly, I'd suggest ordering the original parts. There probably aren't many compatible parts and it may take a bit of trial and error to find something that will work. Digikey has the original parts.

In most of these amps that I've seen ,there were 47k or 100k ohm pulldown resistors connected between the gate and source. These kept the outputs switched off if you pulled the IC.

With the outputs and the 4080 out of the circuit, do you read between 47k and 100k ohms between the gate pad and the source pad for the output? If not, it's not safe to pull the 4080 in this amp.

I have a couple of these that I rebuilt and Perry is correct in all aspects.

I also had similar issues as you Mike, and its not too far fetched that the 4080 may be the root cause of your current failures. But I found these Brutus like amps also like to fail the vertical driver board in front of the 4080, and the will cause the 4080 to drive the outputs to failure on start up every time. In both cases I had to rebuild the vertical driver board in front of the 4080 before i could get them repaired correctly, along with replacing the HIP-4080....:)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.