Infinity amp problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I have a Infinity REF475a I got for Christmas. I was testing it and discovered one of the channels puts out a really scratchy sound. The music played through the channel is really distorted. What could cause this? When this happens my personal diagnosis is some DC went into the output and partially fried the output transistors. However, I thought this amp had protection from various faults like this. I was quite careful when hooking it up. Thanks for any replies.

The amp is still under warranty. I am going to contact the seller to see what he says. I will probably ship the amp back just to learn they will not warranty it for some stupid reason. In which case I will repair it myself. By that time, with all of the shipping cost I could have bought another amp.

I am an electronics engineering student and I have fixed a few amps for classmates of mine. However, I do not own a scope of my own nor do I have access to one at the moment. I am currently reading the links in your signature. I know a guy named Paul Babin who lives in Louisiana. Thanks for your help.

I am going to try to fix the amp myself. However, I cannot seem to find a schematic online. I think some DC from the power supply went into the RCA for the channel that does not work. I am opening the amp right now. What do I need to check for? I do not own a scope, but I do have a multimeter.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.