high pitched noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need some help figuring this out. I have a kenwood kac-9104d that had a loose inductor soldering. By the time I spotted it, the power supply burned out. (not sure if that's related). I replaced the power supply fets and resoldered the inductor. It powers up, and plays, but after a few seconds I get this high pitched whine noise coming from the amplifier itself. I'm not sure from where, I can't pinpoint. If I disconnect the speakers and the headunit, I still the get noise. I tried moved the inductors and transformer around, retouched the soldering, but to no avail... I'm afriad to look at waveforms or measure voltage while the noise is happening so I don't burn more things up. (i do have a 2ohm resistor in B+ line).

Last edited:
No, the resistor doesn't get hot. No excessive current drawn. As I played with it more, it seems that when the amp has rested for a while and is "cold" I can have it play longer, sometimes over a minute before I hear the noise. When it's warm, it's almost immediate. Nothing really gets hot in the amp though. The only things that got warm/hot a few times were the a1859 and c4883. Are these drivers or regulators? They are mounted to the heatsink.

transformer

So I figured where the noise comes from, it's from the laminated core transformer. If I move it around or put a lot of pressure on it, it stops the noise. I took it out, and looked at the wires, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I resoldered and still the same; however, I can get it to play for a long time once I set it "right." Where can I get a replacement? Or should I try to just glue it down? But then if that doesn't work, it's gonna be hard to remove it...

I have a 2.7 ohm 50w alum resistor, it works nice for that I hold my hand right on it. It will not get too warm too fast, and I have a volt or amp meter so I know if the amp has an issue. I use a 2 ohm resistor for more power. Most kenwood have low idle current, some larger or high idle current amps will not run on the 2.7 must be why everyone said get a 2 ohm, lol, but it works nice for smaller amps or to medium class d I use it all the time. Mouser 284-HS50-2.7F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.