Hifonics Eros

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know anything about these amplifiers. They are significantly different than other series 6 amps. On the other series 6 amplifiers, the bottom cover slid into a slot. This bottom cover screws into the heatsink as well as two thick end plates. They also have a screw-in strain relief instead of the 6-pin connector. The serial numbers seem to indicate that they were not prototypes.

ebay auction:

I remember that amp being in their lineup, however the 50 watt rating never got me interested in that amp. The Cyclops was the 100 watt version of that amp. It had the regular old series 6 front endcap and the bottom cover was also the back cover and it had the 3 pin molex. Just as the other HiFonics amps of that era. I have never seen that amp.

Last edited:
I saw those too Perry, and noticed the unusual assembly. The ends and bottom appear to be aluminum. They do look like prototypes, but are listed on the front of the included manual. The pigtail has power, speaker and cheap male RCA's all bundled together.

Heatsink looks like standard VI, except the mounting flange is missing in order to fit onto the thick aluminum bottom.

Perhaps bottom and end plates were on back order and they need to get some of these out badly enough to cobble this together? Their standard PCB mount RCA jacks and Molex wouldn't work with an end this thick, so the pigtail would be a quick fix.

Pure speculation. But VERY neat items for a collector.

The only amp that I can remember buying new was a Pioneer AD-360 back in 1982 or so. There was also 1 or 2 that I purchased used because I needed them to study. I think all of the rest of my amps were loaned to me or were amps that I built. Over the years I've accumulated lots of other amps. I haven't had a working stereo in my vehicle in years and don't have any plans to install one so I don't plan on buying any more unless I need one to study.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.