Hifonics brutus bx1500d

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When trying to power this amp up it draws 40+ amps of current. I took the outputs out of the amp and tryed it again still draws 40+ amps.

I checked the fets all test good but looks like someone messed with them .

The fets that are in this amp right now are FQP65N06 with 100 ohm gate resistors.

Wondering what to check next since this thing is drawing way to much current

It only draws 40+ amps when remote is hooked up .
Tryed powering it up with a current limiting resistor and twisting pulling on the transformers nothing changes.

Its possible they were switched (fets) looks like new solder on all of the fets.

checked all gate resistors all check fine also checked the drivers a1266 they also check fine but dont have any to stick in there to see if one is leaking

Also i found a diode in the output side thats bad it says P6KE68A wondering what i can replace it with.

and i think the guy said he smoked one of the IC'S but he didnt know which one

wondering where i go from here

The P6KE68A is used to protect the 4080 from over-voltage. You need to replace it with the same part.

Pull the 4080 and power up the amp. Does it still draw excessive current?

If so, pull the rectifiers to see if the excessive current draw remains.

You can check the driver transistors to determine if they're leaking, shorted, open or OK.

4.7v/5.67 ohms, volts, amp on/off...?

With only 1 FET/side, the power supply can't produce full rail voltage (because the transformers are not being driven properly - assuming that this amp has two transformers) which may be why it's not drawing excessive current. Reinstall all of them and clamp them down.

Remove the 4080 and post the DC voltage on all 20 pins of the 4080.

Pin 1:
Pin 2:
Pin 3:
Pin 4:
Pin 5:
Pin 6:
Pin 7:
Pin 8:
Pin 9:
Pin 10:
Pin 11:
Pin 12:
Pin 13:
Pin 14:
Pin 15:
Pin 16:
Pin 17:
Pin 18:
Pin 19:
Pin 20:

i try to repair an amp like that and at 12V it draws 15Amps!!!!

the audio part is working ok, all the transistors were changed with IRF3710, on the supply area i need to change probably the driver circuit KIA494(TL494). Also i changed the transistors with irfz48 and the gate resistors. What can cause suck a big consume? What i need to check/recheck???:confused:

The guy that put this question, how do you resolved this issue?

Hello, I have a problem with Hifonics Brutus BX1500D. I've also experienced the exact problem with similar amps using the HIP4080 IC (Starsound, ...).

The problem goes like this: With no/little load the amp works just fine. Idle current is ok, output signal is ok etc. But when the load is increased the output becomes distorted. Sine wave becomes like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nothing fails, no part gets overheated, no exessive current, just this distortion. I've tried replacing output FETs, HIP4080 but with no results. Any idea?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.