seas prestige L16RNX in doors? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2009, 07:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default seas prestige L16RNX in doors?

I'm looking for feedback on any problems I might have if I try to use a pair of Seas speakers (L16RNX) as door mounted mid-bass speakers in my car.
Old 7th December 2009, 08:47 AM   #2
ZippyTs is offline ZippyTs  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't see why not. As long as you can fit it in the hole should be fine.

Would be a good idea to post what kind of vehicle you have, and what the rest of the setup is to better help you

Zippy
Old 7th December 2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Just remember, there's no such thing as too much clay around the baffle
Old 8th December 2009, 05:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The car is a 1995 Mercedes Benz E320 sedan. This speaker is located in the bottom rear of the front door. Without modification of the door panel the largest speaker that will fit is: 3 1/16" deep (top of flange to lowest part of speaker), 6" cone.

I'm doing an incemental upgrade. The headunit (aka radio) has been replaced with a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993. The top of dash speakers replaced with low end polk audio (DB 501s) which actually fit the metric openings. Everything is still being driven by 40W/channel amps that are fed by speaker level signals from the headunit. The rear deck speakers (5" woofer + 2 tweeters on each side) are original.

My plan is to replace the speakers first and then deal with upgrading the amps. The polk audio speakers were inexpensive and a good upgrade compared to the stock dash speakers. I'm consdiering eventually replacing the dash speakers with the tang band 4" W4-1757SB flat cone mid/full range. I don't have any plans for the rear shelf speakers.

Another speaker I'm considering that is less expensive than the Seas with a bit less cone movement is the GR Research M-165X.
Old 10th December 2009, 01:49 AM   #5
mavric is offline mavric  United States
diyAudio Member

I have delt with SEAS spk settup, very expensive choice. That speaker does not in any way like playing in open air, if you can buy some baffle for rear of the speaker, your output will be worth the money, benz tends to mount the speaker to the door, so, you might want to consider that. Another thing, why put them in the rear? Your sound stage is up front. Just an opinion. If you like I can probaly send some pics of a simple way to do the install, just be careful removing panels as the torx sdrews are all hidden by the wood looking trim panels. Hope this helps. Mavric
Old 10th December 2009, 01:56 AM   #6
mavric is offline mavric  United States
diyAudio Member

SEAS Prestige L16RNX 6" Aluminum Cone Woofer (H1488-04) - 4 ohm

Quantity:

$88.80 for each
10+ $79.92

Madisound# H1488-04

View Product PDF (141 KB)

L16RNX is a 5” High Fidelity woofer with an injection moulded
metal chassis, intended for bass reflex and transmission line designs.

Stiff, yet light aluminum cone and low loss rubber surround show
no sign of the familiar 500-1500 Hz cone edge resonance and distortion
assosiated with soft cones.

A bumped back plate in the magnet system, together with the very long and light weight copper clad aluminum voice coil, allow extreme coil excursion with low distortion.

A heavy copper ring below the T-shaped pole piece reduces non linear and modulation distortion.

Extremely stiff and stable injection moulded metal basket, keeps the critical components in perfect alignment. Large windows in the basket both above and below the spider reduce sound reflection, air flow noise and cavity resonance to a minimum.

This driver uses Seas SpiderRing® technology.

Suggested box alignment:
0.35 cubic feet with 2" diameter vent by 6" long. Estimated F3 is 52Hz.

After looking, that is a mid-bass driver, I recommend(highly) an encluse for that purpose. At ot around 500hz, that door is going to rattle, I would dynamat the door then pick up some baffles from metra electronics, reinforce it, and please put them up front. If they wont fit and you dont them, let me know, very nice mid-bass driver.
Old 10th December 2009, 07:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm trying to avoid modifying the door panels because I don't think I can create a nice looking finished product. This is why I'm trying to use the existing speaker locations at the bottom rear of the front doors.

There is very little space (3 3/16") from the existing front surface of the speaker flange in the door panel to the rear where the window opening mechanism moves behind the speaker. The existing speaker is mounted in a plastic "pod". I've included a drawing of the speaker pod and a fuzzy picture of the pod in the driver's side door without the door panel covering. The speaker grill opening in the door will accommodate a speaker cone up to 6" in diameter.

I'm confident I can build a mounting plate for the speaker that will bolt in where the pod is currently mounted. I doubt there is enough room for an enclosure inside the door.

I've been searching for mid-bass drivers that (a) fit based on size and depth, (b) have large XMAX and (c) are less than $100 each. This is the first time I've tried to select speakers so I'm sure I'm missing something. Any advice is much appreciated.

The reason I suggested the Seas driver is the comparatively large XMAX value (10mm) and shallow depth (76mm). My 2nd choice based on size, depth and XMAX is the GR Research M-165X. The M-165X has a slightly lower XMAX of 7.8mm and the speaker is slightly deeper. My 3rd choice is the Mach 5 Audio MLI-65 which has an XMAX of 5.5mm and is about 78mm deep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontspeaker.jpg (27.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00005-20091129-1015.jpg (319.6 KB, 151 views)
Old 10th December 2009, 11:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Xmax on that SEAS is actually 6mm. Look for "linear" excursion and if it's rated as "p-p", divide it by two for one-way movement.

A nice looking speaker, and I'm sure it would work. But unless you plan on a fairly serious amp upgrade in the future, I'd say you were buying a more expensive speaker than you need for that location. Much of it's expense is invested in fine midrange performance that you won't be able to take advantage of.

This buyout Audax:
Parts-Express.com: Audax AP170M0 6-1/2" Shielded Paper Cone Polymer Woofer | audax ap170m0 audax polymer audax woofer audax 6 1/2 buywoof-41108 may perform as well in that location with ~40W/ch, for just over $20 each. (Assuming it's not too big, and the doors are dry.)

Are the little pods open in the back?

Last edited by tsmith1315; 10th December 2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: habitual editor
Old 11th December 2009, 12:40 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I was concerned about the price of the Seas but was attracted to it because I misinterpreted the XMAX value versus other speakers.

The Audax PDF spec sheet at Parts Express seems to show the mounting flange is 9mm thick. If thats correct then the Audax is too deep for my door.

The Mach 5 MLI-65 appears to fit my space and while it is twice the price of the Audax it is less than half the price of the Seas.

I'm confused about a couple of things:

a) XMAX, if it doesn't say p-p then is it assumed that the speaker moves the XMAX amount out and then that amount in for the cone movement?

b) Do I need at least XMAX amount of clear space between the front of the speaker flange and the grill mounted on the door panel to allow the speaker to move properly?
Old 11th December 2009, 12:43 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The existing pod has open slots on the back of the unit as shown by the horizontal lines on the sketch attached to my previous post. The pod has something like polyfill around the existing speaker.

Hide this!Advertise here!