Headunit took a drive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i have been living with my Pioneer deh-p980bt blind for a while now. It sucked, but its not too bad. So the skinny... My deck works and functions fine in every way eccept the screen went out on it. No backlight or visuals on the unit. I tried reseting it among many other things. On suggestion I repleaced the ribbon cable that runs from the back of faceplate to the deck and still no screen, but buttons and backlight for the buttons function just fine as they did before. I also have the service manual if it will help in anyway. I would just go on living with it the way it is, but with the new setup going to be installed soon I need to setup the deck diffrent. With out the screen this makes it quite a challange.

I really dont want to buy a new deck, and a new faceplate costs the same as a new 980bt does or i would try that option. I can not find a deck to replace it with that to me seems like a replacment. Any help from you gents would be greatly appreciated.

Zippy

The only problem I have seen on that unit is the ribbon cable. But since it still had the problem after changing the cable, we can probably rule that out. Have you inspected the contacts on the back of the face? And checked for bent contacts on the piece that solders onto the ribbon cable?

Ok just bought another radio (deh-p780mp) for the face plate pulled it apart and low and be hold the boards are the same for the faceplates. Only problem.... The screen still does not work, but all buttons still function with new face. So to sum up, I have replaced the ribbon cable, re-soldered the ribbon to make sure it was ok, checked all contacts for continuity (on ribbon, faceplate ribbon, and lcd interface ribbon), tried face from 780mp on the 980bt. Now the only thing I could not try is the 980 face or 780 face on the 780 radio because it is broken (so i might have got another bad screen).

On the bright side the cd carriage works from the 780, and I will try and scavenge other parts from it as well. the only thing diffrent I can find about them is 980 has the bluetooth and 780 does not.

If anyone can think of anything else I could try please let me know, and again I do have the service manual if that will help out

Zippy

Update! Ok took the ribbon cable out of the 980bt (new one) and put it in the 780 abd both screens lit up and worked just fine!!

So now I know the 980Bt face is good, and the 780 works just fine also :D

Just need to get the SOB to work with the 980 now lol

Though it is nice to make progress

New update!! and a good one

I have the problem isolated down to the power supply for the OEL +B (screen)

980bt.jpg

That is what i get when I test for voltage. If I jumper 13 and 15 together (bottom left side) to give 9v to the OEL +B from the Ilm +B screen lights up and works fine.

What should I try next? I have the 780mp to pull parts off of that I need or if there is somthing else I can do let me know please

Thanks
Zippy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.