Is a dual sealed,ported or bandpass sub is good for a car?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if you plan on building the bandpass yourself---it will be very very large. the bandpass boxes you see at flea markets and online are prefabricated, and a bandpass for a sub must be built very close to spec.. it is quite difficult and if this is your first time building, i would not suggest it--- also, why bandpass?? looks, or u want the extra gain out of it?? if u want to be loud--just go ported.. the difference is negligable in most cases

-chris

enclosure choice

RobM said:
Depends upon the sub. For a low Qts, high Fs sub you want a ported enclosure (avoid those subs for SQ use anyway...), and for a mid Qts, low Fs sub use a sealed. There's no great benefit to a bandpass and substantial drawbacks.

Actually, weather or not a driver is suited for a closed or vented box is usually based on the EBP ( Efficiency Bandwidth Product ). To calculate the EBP the formula is EBP = Fs divided by Qes. EBP values of 50 and below indicate closed boxes only. EBP values above 50 and especially approaching 100 indicate that the driver will perform better in a ported design.

To say to avoid subs for SQ use isn't correct as you have not indicated if you want sound quality or the boomy " one note bass " that is so popular these days. Basically, you can buy any woofer you want to and design an enclosure for SQ or resonant one note bass.

Doug

Thiele/Small

I checked the Model number for your drivers on their website and they don't seem to publish the complete Thiele/Small parameters. Would you have them in the box that the woofer came in? If you have them, could you post them on this forum.

In the mean time, I've emailed them to see if I could get the parameters.

Hey, I'm just up the road from you, in fact I was in Brampton last weekend.

Doug:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.